Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Egt sensor/gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM
CummInRamIt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egt sensor/gauge

I was told i should get an egt gauge to put in my truck. I was wondering if there was any other gauges that would be a good Idea to put with it? What exactly is the egt sensor/gauge for and I have everthing stock on my truck and I've never heard of it before until my buddy told me and I was doing research on it. Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Default RE: Egt sensor/gauge

what alot of us here are runnning is an EGT, trans, boost and fuel pressure.

the only need for gauges is when you are going above stock performance... if you are stock and do not plan on getting into any upgrades then they wouldent mean much unless you liked the looks of them. but if you are planning on getting into upgrades exhaust and gauges are the first thing you should get.

and as far as the EGT meaning goes, well its just a temp reading coming from the manifold to tell how hot the exhaust is leaving the chambers. (exhaust gas temperature)

Old 02-10-2008, 11:13 PM
dasnake
Veteran

i have a stock '07 5.9, we have a 38' fiver coming so i did all the aforementioned gauges, i also went with a jake, all this is/will help in maintaining all proper tolerences for my truck, like what was said if you don't have any plans then maybe don't do it, but for me, i wanted to have the truck show me exactly what it is doing, when the warranty runs out then i will chip it, just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: nickcoletti
the only need for gauges is when you are going above stock performance... if you are stock and do not plan on getting into any upgrades then they wouldent mean much unless you liked the looks of them.
I don't think I entirely agree with you on that one brotha.

I think that at the very least you should have a fuel pressure gauge to help protect your injection pump whatever it may be sould you see that your lift pump is failing.. After that, I'd say that an EGT would help you keep an eye on your exhausttemps( Exhaust Gas Temp ). Trans temp gauges are for if you tow, however I don't have one.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
lesimon
Professional

I have ordered Exhuast Gas Temperature/Fuel Pressure/Transmission Temperature and Boost gauges. I have also ordered three rotary switches which will enable me to monitor more paramenters in the future. The boost gauge is going to be installed in a A pillar SRT 10 pod and the other three will be installed in over head mirror mount. I am also going to add a rail pressure gauge later on. I am adding these gauges becuase I tow a fifth wheel and hope to do alot more travelling on the future. The gauges acts as an early warning device when something goes wrong and also aids in diagnosing the problem. Example Lift pump fuel pressure and rail fuel pressure. I will be doing a DIY when I recieve the gauges and do the install.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: lesimon
I will be doing a DIY when I recieve the gauges and do the install.

Quick Reply: Egt sensor/gauge