Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How to tell if I have a posi (anti-spin) axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
quick87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if I have a posi (anti-spin) axle

Had my '042500QC 4x4 in to service (under warranty)last winter compaining that when my right rear wheelis on a patch of snow and my left wheel is on hard pavement, the right rearwheel just sits there and spins. The power is not transferred to the left wheel whatsoever. Well, as you might expect, no problem found at this time. So anyway, here it is, winter again and same problem. I have to wonder if this thing has a posi axle or not. Any easy way to tell without starting to take things apart? I have the window sticker ( bought the truck new)which clearly indicates "anti-spin axle" as an option. Maybe it was never installed at the factory? If that's the case, would the dealer install the posi unit without charge? Anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
agargano98
Veteran
Default RE: How to tell if I have a posi (anti-spin) axle

posi's are on the window sticker as "Locking Rear Differential"

Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

You have a "Limited Slip" axle. And yes it will spin but I don't think it should spin that easy. But it doesn't snow here so I don't really know how these things act in the slick white stuff.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

What happens when you hold the brakes and push on the go pedal on dry pavement? You should leave 2 nice black marks. If you only get one....then something is definatly wrong. I live in Minnesota and if I spin in 2wd in the snow/ice, both tires spin at the same time. Once in a while only 1 tire will turn, but if I let off the pedal and try again it usually works.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
al5608
Professional

I don't think Dodge offers a "locking differential" as an option. They do off "anit spin differential" as an option that you have to pay extra for. And it's a piece of crap at best. I paid extra for the "anti spin" diff and it's a joke. On pavement, it will leave two nice black lines from the tiresif i'm going straight. But on snow,ice, mud, or wet grass, she's a one wheel wonder. Even turning right and punching it, wet or drythe diff does not lock up. It's a one tire fryer. I read somewherein the owners manual that if onetire spins, to apply the brakes slightly while giving it throttle.Well, that doesn't work forme. I bet the standard open differential works exactly the same. Man, that 07 D-max i've had my eye on is looking better and better everyday. And can you believe it. It has a real "locking differential" in it that acually works.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM
apappal
Amateur

You guys are absolutly right, I had an 01 that had a true posi and when I bought my 04, I thought the anti slip would be the same but it is not. Just as mentioned above on snow its a one wheel wonder. I think they should through away the AAM axles and go back to the Dana's.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hum.. . .never had a problem with one wheel peel. . .but then again there is no such thing as an "anti spin differential" [sm=gears.gif]

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
92oilburner
Professional

Jack up the rear end, place the trans in neutral,grab a tire & spin it, the other tire should turn the same direction if it is a posi. If the other tire turns the opisite direction, it is a non-posi.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
quick87

Just doublechecked my original sticker. It says 'Anti-Spin Differential Axle' $285. The way this thing acts, I wasted my money.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
al5608
Professional

Ya, me too. Paid extra for it. I just jacked up the back end and spun the wheels. No surprise, they both spin opposite directions. I think i'm gong to call a service mananager and have him explain to me the difference between the standard diff and the "anti spin"

Quick Reply: How to tell if I have a posi (anti-spin) axle