Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

front drive axle problem help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:01 PM
critter69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front drive axle problem help

i chsnged the axle actuator on my 96 3500 diesel p/u and the 4 wheel drive works better but it still jumps out once and a while what am i missing

Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
12valveman
Professional
Default RE: front drive axle problem help

hey just wondering if you had checked the fork for the actuator. I have seen quite a few where the plastic bushings on the fork wear out and cause the lock-up collar not fully engage causing the collar sometimes to wear out from grinding. also check to see if the fork is bent at all. if it continue on the fork may sometimes bend the shaft on the actuator and you will have to start all over again. make sure you have constant vaccum at the valve also. let us know what ya find.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
critter69

have you heard of the clips that hold the fork on having to be put in a certain way?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
12valveman
Professional

the clips can go in either way but i am sure you also realized that the fork only goes in one way also almost sure you knew that otherwise it would not work at all. and is it really the front disconnect making the noise or is it a stretched chain in the t-case jumping

Old 02-20-2008, 02:54 PM
critter69

I FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM THE BUSHING IN THE END OF THE AXLE WERE THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT AND THE AXLE SHAFT MEET WAS BAD WHICH ALLOWED THE COLLAR TO WALK OFF DURING 4 WHEEL DRIVE ENGAGEMENT THANKS FOR THE HELP IF I WOULDNT HAVE TAKEN IT BACK APART I NEVER WOULDVE FOUND THAT THANKS AGAIN!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 AM
12valveman
Professional

glad you found the problem not too often that bushing fails but glad you found it

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

hey guys im along the same lines with my latest little problem. I just put the new actuator in and the 4wd was working as it should. i used the 4wd, took it out of 4x4 and parked the truck. like 2 hours later i went to leave...i got out into the driveway and its all ice, so i was stuck. pulled it in 4wd and the light came on..the fron driveshaft started spinning, but the hubs werent locking out... could it be because of the cold? could it be that i wasnt going forward or backward to roll the front tires and help lock them out?

Quick Reply: front drive axle problem help