Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

well now. . .aint this something

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default well now. . .aint this something

finaly was able to spend some good one on one time withbeasty today. needed to change fluids in the axels, transfer, check the fluid in my tranny. . .still a good golden color so thats good. . .gotta wait on the transfer, dont have the proper pump to get fluid in so it was pretty much the axels. . .now, I'm not sure if it is my breather tube doing it or what, but the back of my front chunk is covered in this oily black sludge. the drive shaft is dry, but not the back of the pumpkin. .. I hope my pinion seal hasnt gone out[:@] something to keep an eye on. however one thing that realy got me was the fluid in the rear axel. I dont know how many of you actualy reach inside to 'scrape' out the bottom of the pit, but dang, that was some nasty crap in there. no water, just heavy with metal shavings[:'(] I did raise up the back tires so I could spin the thing to see if there was anything funny going on, but I guess it was just gunk left over from where I didnt scrape the bottom last time I changed the fluid. something else for me to keep an eye on[:'(]

second, I'm not sure how important this part is, and I'll try to get a pic of it, but the dust cover on the output of the transfer is all cracked up and looks like it is about to fall off. . .I hope it isnt something important. . .[&:]

oh well. . .she just keeps on truckin

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: well now. . .aint this something

Dang it Drew it sounds to me like the ole burn out routine is weighing hard on the pumpkin. I dont know if you remember but I changed my rear axle oil at 90k on my 04 and it looked new and there were no shavings or sludge in the pit. Go ahead and put a narrowed rear end like a dragster in beasty and you can do all the POWER-BURNS you want and some big slicks would be kewl

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Drew
Professional

guess I'll run till she pukes the her guts out

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 AM
92oilburner
Professional

you are running synthetic in the axles right? If not sounds like you should be

Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional

got amsoil SVG 75-90. not only is it good for the axels, I can also use it in the transmission and axel of my yoda

Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
92oilburner
Professional

how many miles were on the old lube ? Did you check for excessive gear back lash?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Speaking of .... how are you making out with that yoda tranny?

Have you figured out where all of the extra pieces go yet?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Drew
Professional

the old lube had about 30K on it. . .the origional fatory lube looked like warmed over death when I changed it at 25K. the magnet was caked with metal, this time it just had a small film.

donny, I picked up my new slave cylinder today, Ive pretty much got everything back together, I just need to RTV the case back together, going to do that tonight. if everything goes back like it should I should have her back on the ground this weekend. just in time to get the emissions done so I can get the tag renewed all just to put it back in the air to do the brakes, shocks, and bushings.

Quick Reply: well now. . .aint this something