Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lift Pump Replacement Cost?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 AM
dieseltrukkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lift Pump Replacement Cost?????

Thank you both for all your help. I will speak with the dealership in the morning and try to figure out why they are trying to charge me up to 5300.- for something that should cost way less. I've also read of people that have replaced their pumps twice only to figure out it is an electrical problem. It is hard to find mechanical service that is reliable and trustworthy

Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

a new injection pump is about 1000$,this stealership is trying to rogue u out alive,this one is not a bigger assle to change than the lift pump,grab some wrenchs and do it urself man
btw u can got to a fass lift pump for about 650$ whitch is the best pump available,if ur into modding ur truck start this way right away so ul get peace of mind in the future

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

So my dealer also said something about the 1700 beiing the cheap option and said if they had to replace the pump in my tank it would cost an addnl. 3600.- Is there any possible logical explanation for this or am I getting phukked?
Are we talking American dollars???

If so I'd run away from that dealer as fast as you possible can and take it to a good diesel shop. The diesel shop will do a better job and charge you a fair price instead of raping you.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

heee bob even if hes talking about canadian dollar change rate is about 0.985¢ so it doesnt mather much

Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
12valveman
Professional

hey diesel to be honest i would do the mopar retrofit to the in-tank fuel pump. they are reallly reliabe and give no failure. like the parts/service man said they are about 320 or so and they are about 250 or so labor wise and you stick with a orginal equipment that you can get parts at any time for unlike the other aftermarket systems that you have to order and wait for. i guess i am a true person that believes in keeping it real and keeping it orginal because if you have problems with it it is alot easier to figure out something that is done right and by the way the injection pump is way outa line also the 1700 is still high if that was for the injection pump i believe i would try another dealer or ask him how much the part is and how much labor was. the second estimate could be an injection pump and a lift pump together due to if you do not replace the lift pump you will more than likely damage the injection pump

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
dieseltrukkin

So I spoke to the dealership and got some answers. The 1700.- is broken down into 150.- diagnose, 1200.- to change transfer pump to tank, and 250.- to purge my fuel system and clean injectors. This may be a little pricy, but now I'm paying not to have downtime.
The 3600.- quote is if required to change the electronic fuel control module and the part alone retails for 2900.-?Does that make sense?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
burban2002
Veteran

Wow those prices are crazy. I didnt want the in tank replacement so I replaced my lift pump with one on the side of the block. In about 1/2 hour with a pump from the local cummins shop and 170 bucks later she was up and running. Its really easy to do.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
dieseltrukkin

So I'm trying to find this 2900.- fuel pump module and cant seem to find it anywhere. Does it actually exist?

Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM
12valveman
Professional

the only thing i can think is a dealership sometimes calls the module or computer built into the top of the injection pump a fuel module but it is only serviced as a fuel injection pump not just the module unless they are talking about the cummins controler on the side of the motor. but either way i think at this point you only need the lift pump and from cummins you can get the same lift pump that mounts on the motor which is a easy and fast way to prevent downtime but almost a guarantee that it will fail again in the future sooner than the intank replacement

Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

there is fuel module control,there is only a injection pump
purging the fuel system haaa,crack injection 1-3-4 and start the truck as soon its bark shut close the lines and ur done
changing the injection pump and the lift pump by urself cant take more than 1 day and about 1600$ in parts if u take the expensive way

Quick Reply: Lift Pump Replacement Cost?????