Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

subs into a mega cab?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: subs into a mega cab?

this is gonna have to be quick. i'm tired as hell so i'll further this tommorrow. A line out converter uses the signal the factory deck produces to send to the subs. Almost everyone will agree that factory deck is ok for what it is but compared to anyting it honestly doesn't sound that great. Ie puts out a junk signal. So by using a line out converter we are using that same crap signal to make our subs play bass. This alone literally trashes sound quality. You can get loud bass no doubt but it isn't going to sound good at all. because even if you use good stuff like JL audio it is only as good as the signal it gets. Everything in a system depends upon the headunit. Cheap headunit or lineouts will completely undermine w/e else you do. Now with an aftermarket head unit you get.

High voltage preouts that deliver a strong clean signal for the amplifier to reproduce. This will give you an immense improvement in SQ. better signal = better bass which means better sound quality.

Equalizers on factory deck are rudimentary at best. bass mid and treble. not so good. Not to mention that by tuning ur door speakers you will also be changing the signal the subs will be getting. which once again not good.
Aftermarket gives you advanced equalizers that will allow you to tune your system to sound it's best. Best part is you will be able to tune ur door speakers ie mids and highs, seperately from your lows.. ie subs.
Most aftermarkt head units offer parametric or graphic equalizers both do the same job. I prefer parametric because it allows for more tweaking but graphic is hands down more user friendly. much easier to tune. Seperate sub control, low pass and high pass filters to limit certain frequencies that go to each speaker. You can limit the bass in door speakers which allows them to produce your mids and highs much clearer and allows your subs to only produce the lows and bass. When you allocate certain frequency bands to each speaker it allows for much better sq. a regular door speaker for example a 6.5 will sound much better when it isn't being forced to reproduce bass notes. instead this is why we use subs. because they produce bass with much better sq. then we limit the bass to the 6.5 and get the best sq out of it. Makes the different speakers mesh together much nicer.

that's about most of what you get as far as sq wise. there are many other things, ipod capability, bluetooth, sat radio, hd radio, OEL displays. you name it.

there are a few cases where I find line out acceptable. if you have a factory premium sound system. because at that point replacing a head unit is a bitch and a half in most cases. or if you have for example the uconnect from the factory. because that won't work with a aftermarket deck. in those cases I say go line out because of the capabilities you lose. but for a truck with just the basic 4 spkr non amped there is absolutely no reason to use a line out converter.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Snoopie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2006 Dodge ram 1500 Mega cab and have a sound system I used in my old car that I am having trouble fitting into my new truck. I have two 12" Directed SX12D subs that have a mounting depth of 7 and 3/8" the biggest box I have found for the mega cab is 7" deep, except for one that says it's for a quad cab that is 7.5" deep. I am wondering if this Quad cab one would fit or not, or if I am going to have to get a custom box made. The one I found is for under the seat. I think I will go with Under the seat instead of behind because I should have a little more room to play with underneath.... I think... If anyone can help me out I would appriciate it.

Quick Reply: subs into a mega cab?