Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

WARNING For those in the Houston area

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING For those in the Houston area

Anyone near the Houston and surrounding areas, be carefull who you choose to work on your truck.
I took my 2007 Dodge ram CTD to Texas Truck Works in Magnolia Tx.

I paid these guys $900 to install a lift on my truck (Labor Only) and expected a flawless job and perfect install for that much $$.
I have been back a total of three times and it's still not right.

When I picked up the truck the first time, it had a lot of driveline vibration. I got it home and discovered that .....
All the control arms were upside down and on the wrong side of the truck.
The Caster was set wrong and there was about a 5 degree angle at the pinion to the driveshaft.
Both sway bar links were bent where the lowered the axle with only the sway bar to support it.
The Tranny Drop Bracket was not even installed!!!
Rear axle was 1/2 inch off center and the u-bolts crooked and not installed right.
Truck pulls hard to the right and the steering wheel is at the 10 O-clock position.

The second time I picked it up.....
Control arms still on the wrong side of truck.
Rear axle still off center and ALIGNMENT STILL OFF!!

Third time i pick it up............
Finally corrected the control arms.
straightened out the sway bar links (not replaced but bent them with a cheater pipe )
rear axle still off center by 1/2 inch and they tell me they won't try to correct it because they think it won't shift over??
Alignment is still off and they did not re-align it.

I am calling them today to ask for a Refund. If they choose not to refund my money , I will be takeing them to small claims court.

The Owner of this place is Scott Stephens. Some of you may recognize his name, thats because he was the Owner/Driver of the "King Crunch" Monster Trucks. This was one of the reasons I decided to let them install the Superlift. I figured surely they must really know what the hell they are doing and it's worth the $900 overpriced labor to have the PRO'S install it.

Well I was way wrong and these guys are a bunch of clowns that have no idea what they are doing.
When I asked why the Tranny Drop bracket was not installed, Scott told me it was for a manual tranny only. I showed him the Superlift Installation manual and pointed to the instuctions for installing a part called "The Automatic Transmission drop Bracket"!!
He told me how sorry he was and thanked me for schooling them on this.
The problem with that is on the web site they have several Dodge Ram CTD's with the exact same lift kit. How did they install those trucks but have no idea how to install it on mine???

The point of this post is not to trash talk Texas Truck Works or it's employees. It is meant only to inform others to me dealings with this company and the quallity of service or lack there of, that I receaved from them.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: WARNING For those in the Houston area

If you paid with a credit card, just call the cc company and do a chargeback. They should be able to help you out before you wind up in cort. As always, DOCCUMENT EVERYTHING !!

Sorry to hear about all of the agg Buzzy ...

Old 03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
speakle
All Star

Make sure and talk to the owner about a refund, dont even bother with the *** clowns that work there. As was already stated, copy all your papers and write down anything and everything no matter how unimportant it may seem. It wouldnt hurt to go to another shop and have them give a written report on what is wrong, how it can be fixed and the price to do so. If the first shops refuses a refund then show them the paper and get them to at least give you the cost of having it fixed properly.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

Instructions are for sissies part aren't they?

well as speakle said cost for fix is what u may end up having,
about 1-2 times a year a customer cant be satisfied no mather how hard i try and ask for refund even if theykeep the stuff ,bunch of clowns....
i understand that u loose time but they ended by installing it anyway even if its take too much time but they are clearly lacky experience....
they must pay for correcting theirs job but even if ur angry keep in mind they did a big part of the job and u wont end paying nothing for it....

it wont hurt to try though
good luck buzzy

Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Bigriver

I feel your pain Man. What a drag that you've had to experience this mess.
I like the idea that Speakle had, but actually have another shop do the work, with the understanding of what must be done to correct the misstakes. The second cost would also be collectable from Texas Truck Works, or at least when presented to a judge, would establish your position of requiring another shop to do it right. It would not just be your opinion, but another respectable company backing you up.

I wish I had the talents to do most everything on my truck like some of the guys, (or gal?) here.
Hard lessons learned here huh? Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

Wow, I have been fallowing some of your problems and here are some comments from me.

1) 4 wheel parts/expert off-road Are some of the BEST ones to use
2) 900 - is not over priced, they can get way with calling it "specity work" and charge $100 a hour
3) I do not think u will get a refund but try, if they say no tell them thank you very nicely and hang up. Then call a lawyer etc etc. do not let them know what you are doing so they have no time to get ready.
4) As everyone has said, make sure you have copies of everything pic's etc etc so you have a good case. But remember ur goal is not to lose money but to get back ur money and all the time/lost time at work and home to try and get it fixed but yet never did.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I talked to the owner Scott this morning. He doesn't see why I am so upset and says that they did fix the problems. I asked him if he felt like I got my $900 worth of service from them and he says he feels like they went above and beyond to help correct the problems.
This is almost where I loose it. I reminded him about the tranny drop bracket and how he insisted that it was only for manual tranny's untill I had to show him the install manual with a friggin picture of the bracket and the part was called "Automatic Transmission Drop Bracket". He quickly changes the subject and stays on the defensive. I asked him how he would feel if he drove home twice from his shop with two swaybar links bent at a30 degree angle and only 1/2 inch from touching the springs and how would he feel if on the third visit, someone put a cheater pipe on them to bend them straight instead of replacing them.
Not to mention it took tree visits to get the control arms in the right locations!!!

We went round and round and he refuses to acknoledge any wrong doing by them. And will not refund anypart of my money nor pay for things to be fixxed by another shop.
I am as we speak, on hold with the bank trying to do a charge back.
Some of you may feel it's wrong to do this but you have no idea how much money I have spent in wheel alignment, rent car, 18 hours of lost over time from work, ect.
I will get my money back and will also do my best to see that everyone in my area knows to steer clear of these idiots or at least know what kind of quality you will get from them if you do go there.

I still have a rear axle that is 1/2" off center, an emergency brake cable that needs to be disconnected and re-routed (Ebrake locks up at 5" of drop in the rear axleand rubs on the springs ), steering wheel sits at the 10:00 o clock position, truck pulls right even after rotating the brand new tires, alignment shows the caster to be way off, thrust angle is off the chart ( due to the off center rear axle) and lord only knows what else they screwed up.

I am one big pissed off sum-n-m-bich right now!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I'm sorry to hear about that. I just hate when people screw up and refuse to acknowledge that they messed up. I mean if you install something on your own truck and screw it up that is one thing, but if you pay someone to do the work you expect them to have the tools and know how to do it at least as good as you. On that note, Buzzy you want to start a shop? We can call it "Learn as We Go Custom Lifts".

Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Sorry to hear about that. Keep your cool and everything will work out. They will get what they deserve.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
speakle
All Star

Before you go any farther you need to get a reputable shop to write up a report on what is wrong. If you present this to him (make a copy first!) theneven if he will do nothing you will have done everything in your power. I honestly dont think you deserve a full refund of the $900, I do think you are entitled to whatever it will costto fix it properly. I would also make your intentions clear AFTER the conversation about the new shops report is finished.Small claims court goes up to $5k ...at least here anyway, let him know that you will present detailed times and distances traveled, wages lost, fuel costs, rental prices etc. if you are forced to take it into small claims court. Best advice I can give you on top of this is your presentation, be POLITE, be NICE, do not under any circumstances lose your cool and be rude.

Quick Reply: WARNING For those in the Houston area