Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

locker or not? gear or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locker or not? gear or not?

im looking to get a front locker for beasty and one of the dealer ive been in touch said i already have one from factory and to make sure how many spline i got he need to remove the cover to check

heck i though factory put open diff in the front and that all diffs for a give model/year were the same....

when im in 4x4 high and slow going its shaky and when im in 4x4low and going slow its really a pain to turn and easy to get sick of i have to turn alot...
but im pretty sure when im stuck a tire is spinning while the other is standing still.....

im looking to get 4.10 instaed of my 3.55 whit my 35' it would be quicker from dead start but i need to bet to 75mph to get about 2000rpm on the highway

but the same guy quoted me 1200$ each set of gears... wtf???

Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: locker or not? gear or not?

Ya got me?

Why do you want lockers? What's wrong with what you have now?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

well i have the habit of going where i soudnt go so i need all my wheels turning,dont ya think so?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
sabersix

$1200 sounds reasonable. Will he warranty is work?

As far as what gears and lockers you already have, it sounds reasonable that he would want to pull the covers to verify for himself before ordering the parts.

I have air lockers on my Jeep. I highly recommend some sort of selectable locking device. With the lockers engaged, turning gets MUCH harder. You'll want to be able to disengage the lockers when needed. I've had good luck with my ARB lockers.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

sabersix.1200$ is for parts only,1200$ front 1200$ rear
ringpinion.com

about 440$ full kit for each set

i think hes trying to rob me
but for what i have stock in my truck anybody have any idea???

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, i don't get out of the gas section much, so if i say something wrong go easy on me. congratulations on having the 2500/3500 with the dana 60 front and 60/70 on the rear. unlike us wimpy little 1500 guys, you have LOTS of choices, as varied as your wallet can stand.

http://www.ringpinion.com offers a huge variety of gears, bearing kits, lsd's and lockers.
if i was you, and if i could afford it, i'd go with a selectable locker, something like the OX, arb, detroit, eaton, etc.

i would not put a non-selectable locker in the front of a daily driver. i've got the powertrax "lunchbox" noslip in the rear, and i like it, but i would not want it in the front. reason - it requires friction to unlock and differentiate. (critical to going around a curve in a civilized fashion). slippery surfaces like wet or snow can cause it to slip/slide rather than unlock. i could probably tolerate this in snow for part of the year, but would not want that risk on every wet or sandy road for 12 months a year. i just think it would be a lot safer and more tolerable to unlock it and have a normal open differential until i really needed it, then lock it while needed.

i've got no personal experience, but hear good things about the OX, with its simple, hopefully foolproof cable system, as opposed to electric, air, etc. it should be good at the excessive price it sells for. at $1000 ea for the ox, plus about 300-400 for the gears/brgs, plus labor (just for the sake of estimation, call it $250-500/axle)... it gets real expensive.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
mikebol
Veteran

Wolli, when I had my 1500 I was going to put a Detriot TrueTrac in the back since it was a single wheel burner and all. From what I've read, the offroaders use these alot in the fronts of their rigs instead of a full locker. Here's a good write up on it and a lot of good info...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml

Mike

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

If you are going to install any type of front locker, I would seriously suggest that you remove CAD and install a solid shaft on that side. That external shift collar will disintegrate with a fron locker. Once you replace that pass side shaft, you will now have to install manual hubs.

I have the Eaton E locker ready to go in but I have not bought the CAD replacement shafts yet. There's a fair amount of work that would have to be done while that axle is apart.

If you plan on putting high torque to axles with lockers, that front collar will be what fails.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

i dont have cad axle

Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: woligator

i dont have cad axle
What's up front in that thang?...lol

Quick Reply: locker or not? gear or not?