Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Sound clips/videos of truck? bad or not running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM
sallyman1
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound clips/videos of truck? bad or not running?

[hr]

Heres links to my videos. this is with wastegate line pinched. Without pinching id only see 25 psi max boost now i can see over 30 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOGBuNzPhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6uyStSuQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AlR7Y5RjaE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlw9fDvIvX4[/align]

Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran
Default RE: Sound clips/videos of truck? bad or not running?

Have you done a valve lash adjustment on your truck recently? That last video sounded like there was a lot more "clatter" than what I normally hear. Maybe its just my crappy laptop speakers, it's hard to tell in a video sometime. Another possibility for your high EGT's could be a bad thermocouple giving you incorrect readings. Have you tried a different one? I would think that you should be able to check the resistance in the thermocouple. If you call the manufacture of the thermocoupler, or maybe edge, I would think someone would be able to give you the correct resistance vs. tempature chart.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-09-2008, 06:16 PM
finny
All Star

yah if you have that hight of egt's while doin that i must be close to melting my whole engine. i think there is somthing wrong.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:33 PM
burban2002
Veteran

Do you want to see clips of cummins not running right? Here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqcJ4RnQAFs

Old 03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
sallyman1
Captain

i have 3 different pyro probes all from edge. all read the same and measure the same.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
SpLaT
Captain

sallyman1, here are some suggestions, do as you may with them. (by the sounds of those videos, its like your on the go pedal real hard? I can see things not lasting real long on your truck ie turbo, injectors, valves and tranny).

Remove that programmer-return to stock, completely remove the programmer. (programmers add extra fuel, the stock injectors don't like extra fuel, they carbon up, **** sticks to them and programmerscause injectors toprematurely wear. Not to mention extra fuel washes by the rings. With the extra fuel your going to get higher EGTs!) Once you have removed that programmer grab a couple jugs of PPS white jugs, dump the 96oz. in with about a half tank of diesel and then go run it like ya stole it (Sask. don't have any hills to haul **** on), if you can load the truck up with a couple thousand pounds or hook on a 8k pound trailer and give her!!

Next, if your still having injector rattle, then I suggest yanking them out and get them rebuilt! (getting new OEM stickshas a very long waiting line!! Rebuilding runs about $100.00cnd each, the later would be cheaper and has a 1 or 2 day return)Or go with bigger sticks 50 to 90hp should do it (also read next suggestion).

If you are not willing to dump the programmer, then gowitha bigger turbo. The bigger turbo will go a long way to reduce the high EGTs. As well, it will assist in adding more air to go with the extra fueling from the programmer.

Do a valve lash, easy to do, many of the Forums I see you in have good write-ups on the proceedure (some even have colour pictures).

Another thing to look at is the FCA (fuel control actuator) on the CP3 pump. Three torex bolts pull the actuator out and give it a shake if you hear any rattle then the actuator is most likely good, if there is no rattle then you need to replace it. If its stuck this may cause extra fueling which in turn causes the higher EGTs.

I may be wrong, but I was having issues with high EGTs among other issues. I replaced my
FCA and pulled the programmer off, added an extra strenght dose of PPS and took her out for a good hard run. Injector rattle gone, high EGTs gone, surge gone, rough idle gone and lope atfast idle gone. Although, I still have to pull the injectors outto see the damage done from programmer, I fear I will most likely be rebuilding them.

JMHO
SpLaT

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Electronic dreams..........

Is the rest of the truck stock? I'd say you need a larger exhaust. I can hit 1600 degrees with no problem thru a 5 ich exhaust....lol.

Do those chips "defuel" when that alarm goes off? Can you set it to disregard the alarm? When that probe hits 1400, it's not like the motor will melt instantaneously. You have a little time. That sensor reads air temp. If your exhaust and everything else is stock, you need to change some things.

I'd start with a 5 inch, turbo back exhaust. A bigger turbo would help too.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
sallyman1
Captain

whats PPS? is that the white jug of power services? if so i use it every tank. i use about 8-10 oz for every 110 litres or so. is that strong enough?

Yes my truck has stock 4" exhaust.I removed CAT and Stock Muffler and put a aero4040xl where cat was.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
triton
Record Breaker

dood, IMO, you just can't do it on your own sometimes. You're all over a couple boards with questions that really can't be answered without being there. IMHO... it would be worth the 300 mile drive over to NADP to get your truck running right once and for all. It doesn't sound good, your EGT's seem to be out of control. NADP is a top of the line performance shop in your area. They have some of the fastest trucks in North America. In the long run... you'll be happy you did. Rebuilding a blown engine isn't cheap ! If you can't figure it out yourself... you need to talk to someone who can !

Quick Reply: Sound clips/videos of truck? bad or not running?