Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trade In? Advice Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
wildneg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade In? Advice Question...

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 w/ Hemi. Regular cab, 4x4, just about everything I wanted. When i purchased it, I really wanted a regular cab cummins turbo, but obviously those are kind of rare (and expensive).

I was at the dealership with a friend who was checking out trucks and they have a long bed, dooley (spelling?), regular cab, cummins. 2006 with 81k miles. The guy hauled with it, all service records, traded it in just recently (about a week ago) for a 4500. I drove it almost all day Saturday around town and it is pulling a little over 19mpg already (not even highway). I live 37 miles from work and its all highway, so I will see the benefit from driving the truck. Diesel is about 30 cents more where i live and usually is about that ratio higher then gas...

The 3500 is obviously going to outlast that Hemi and will be better for pullnig the kicker wagons i pull when I get hay for the horses. I am just wondering if this is worth the trade to get a higher milage Diesel, exactly what i wanted with the regular cab? They want a little over 20k for it. Bluebook Resale is about 29,200. I've bought 2 vehicals from this dealership, my parents 4. They know us very well. Don't know if they are just giving me a deal or something is wrong. It drives very nice, shifts wonderfully, and I had two people look at it on Saturday. Both said they hauled with it, which I know. Has the fifth wheel assembly, just needs the reciving unit.

Everyone said it was clean, looks well taken care of, etc. Just wondering if it would be stuipd to upgrade to this size truck for what I do, and to get the gas milage increase? Plus reliability of the cummins and longivity?

One other question, I noticed when they backed it up it had two spots underneath. Its sitting at my girlfriends house now, and it has one dropplet of fluid again. I will be checking it out, but the guy said it had a transmission flush, inspected, great shape. I don't know if there is a leak? Or if its just access fluid from the change? I will be taking it to a mechanic or trans shop if I decide to trade.

Anything I should ask? Check? Good deal? Good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Kevin

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 PM
sabersix
Default RE: Trade In? Advice Question...

Don't kid yourself that better fuel mileage will even out the cost per mile. These trucks are expensive to maintain;twelve quarts of oil, larger more expensivefuel, oil, and air filters, two batteries, six E-rated tires, etc. As you know, diesel fuel is running 30-50 cents more per gallon, so you will feel it each timeyou refill the 34 gallon tank.

If you want the truck, get it and have no regrets.

Be sure to check the front end for worn u-joints and ball joints. The transmission drip should also be investigated.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Just a heads up.
If you find the "leak" coming from a tube off the side of the engine in may just be the breather tube. If it is, you probably don't have anything to worry about as far as the "leak" goes.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Breather tube is what I was thinking as well. No biggie.

If you need a truck and you want truck, you can't go wrong with the Cummins. If you are just looking fora toy though, it's going to be a very expensive toy.

Quick Reply: Trade In? Advice Question...