Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Aux Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
seattlestones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Fuel Tank

OMG, the price of diesel is absolutely KILLING me! I read with interest the post on fuel prices around the country. In the "great" NW, I am paying over $4 a gallon and it isn't slowing down. I am getting to move down to the SW this summer and I was thinking that getting an Aux Fuel Tank (40 gallon) wherein I could jump across the border and fill up for half what we are paying here wouldn't be a bad gig. Is anyone running an aux tank now, and if so, is it gravity fed (illegal) or does it have the fuel pump in the tank? What brand are you running and what are your likes/dislikes? Thanks!

Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Aux Fuel Tank

I want to get a aux tank and run it seperate with some sort of tee so it will enable me to put the wvo in there, and the straight pump diesel in reg tank. just need to find the right tank, fuel pump and plumbing combination. Oh yea and get the extra cash also. I would like to go 90 to 150 gallon with black diamond plate if I can find it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I found this website. and for me it would be a few hour drive. I am going to call them and let them know what I am looking for and see what the price is sometime this week.
http://www.kshmarine.com/truck_tanks1.htm

Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Bigriver

I have the Transferflow 50 in bed tank. Works great, no problems.

http://www.transferflow.com/crossthebedtanks_0.html

Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've got a 90 gallon home-made tank that gravity feeds into the stock tank. Just be sure to get aluminum and not steel tank. Mine is steel and I've had rust problems. I put a huge fuel filter on it and try to keep it full as much as I can and it has cut down on the rust to almost 0%. I like the extended range. I drove from Nashville,TN to Scottsdale,AZ pulling 10,000+ pounds and stopped for fuel one time going and one time comming back. You can also save money by filling up in places where diesel is cheaper. I avoided paying the higher diesel prices in AZ and CA by filling up in TX on the way in, and again on the way out.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
sanddragonslayer
Rookie

i am going to do an illegal setup, when $$$ permits

Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I want one that does not feed into the main tank. Want it completly isolated.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
sanddragonslayer
Rookie

jimmy, what wuld be the benefit of completely isolating the extra tank, I just want to know if I'm overlooking an option that I need.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I run wvo in my truck and currently mix it with pump diesel. If I had a secondary tank I can start the truck on pump, switch it over for runing it, then switch it back over a few minutes before shut downa nd it would eliminate the cold start issue.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

If I had a secondary tank I can start the truck on pump, switch it over for runing it, then switch it back over a few minutes before shut downa nd it would eliminate the cold start issue.
It would not be hard to do. You would have to T off your main fuel line some place. Put 2 check valves on each side of the "T" and add a Walbro pump to pump out the WVO.

You would also have to "T" off your return line. I don't know of any easy way to switch it back and forth other than a solenoid valve. The pumps are easy since they are already controlled by 12v.

You can pick up some good aluminum tanks and TSC for a pretty good price.

Quick Reply: Aux Fuel Tank