Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Filter question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter question(s)

Before I ask the question(s) here is some background: I have done my fair share of oil changes, on more then my share fare of different cars (my personal, or friend's vehicle). I just changed the oil in my truck for the... 5th time? (not sure... but not my first that is for sure), and the only difference between this time and any other is I had gone 3000 miles towing about 12k lbs and then did about 2-3k miles "city" driving, so a total of 5-6k miles. I also used Amsoil Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil (first time using it), with the stock Mopar oil filter (have a bunch of them, got a great deal on ebay for a box of them). I have never had any issues with oil changes on this truck before, except that the oil is DARK as all hell, which I understand to be a product of a diesel. Well this time I got under the truck to do all the changine and there was a bunch of oil all over the front crossmember directly under the oil filter[&:]... I reach up and the oil filter is loose... I was actually happy! I was glad I caught it before I didn't have a truck (my mom had something similar happen to her truck, and had to replace/rebuild the engine). IKNOW for a fact I tightened it down whenI changed before I went acrosscountry (Imake more then one checkon things like that before Ileft). Well my question(s) are as follows: Is this common, and I should be checking for it every once in a while? Could this be a factor of the new oil? Am I not doing oil changes right (I would like to know before I f something up!)? Also, is there a way to check to make sure my engine wasn't starved for oil and has bearing issues, or anything to double check before putting too many more miles on it? (My oil pressure is the same as it was before, it has never changed, beyond the normal reduction due to warm up).
Thanks guys!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 PM
finny
All Star
Default RE: Oil Filter question(s)

you could get an oil analysis done on your old oil. should tell you whats goin on in the engine.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Sereguial
Professional

Just ordered the stuff to do that, thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Mayfair
Legend

When you say "loose" just how loose are we talking? Some guy's here can actually take their filter off without useing a wrench. I actually use the wrench when I put my filter on. Once I get it hand tight, I give it a 1/4 turn with a wrench. Of course i lube the O-ring before installing

Speaking of .... Is it possible that you have TWO o-rings on there? Maybe you never got one off from one of your earlier oil changes?

The Mopar filters are fine. I believe they are Fleetguards

As far as checking to see if your engine is lubed enough, just check the dipstick. If it's to the full line, you're fine.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 AM
jakebrake
Champion

If he doubled up the seals, he would know it instantly. Big difference betweent he 20psi in a car engine and 60psi in the cummins. How low on oil were you? And if you buy the fleetgaurd filters, I think they say hand tight plus 1/2 to 3/4 turn on the filter (dont quote me, I'm used to the big filters).

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Its not because of the oil as I use Amsoil 5w30 HDD and I have never had any of my Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters leak in the past 10,000 miles. I'd say for some reason that you didn't get it as tight as you though you did and the filter worked its way lose to where you started to lose oil by the seal on the top of the filter. I’d say replace the filter if it’s not time to change the oil at this time and top off the oil until full. At your next oil change send in an oil sample to see how the engine is doing. Also any time you add oil in between oil changes list how much oil was added and at what mileage when sending in your oil sample to be tested. BTW yes the Dodge/Mopar oil filters are made by Fleetguard but thay are not as good as the Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter.

JMHO

Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Sereguial
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair
When you say "loose" just how loose are we talking? Some guy's here can actually take their filter off without useing a wrench.
When I say loose I mean a turn and a half from "hand tight" So the Seal was BARELY making contact if at all... I usually have to use a large amount of force to get them off (just not this time), but I can do it by hand since I am too lazy to go get my filter wrench, and would rather strain my arm trying to get it off[&:]
I know my oil pressure guage never got low or anything, but where does that pressure get tapped off of? (before or after the filter, and is it before or after any bearings?)
ORIGINAL: jakebrake
How low on oil were you?
I was just below the "add" line before I changed my oil, and all the oil came out to be about 9-10 qts or so.

I am mostly worried since I have noticed a VERY slight knocking, but I think it might be the fuel I am running just acting up (I have had it happen before), since the 03 has a MUCH quieter combustion then earlier engines.
Plus, my mom has an '01 CTDand had this very thing happen to her, and didn't catch it until she got the lights of death... and had to replace the engine.

I did change my oil, and filter, and was going to send off a sample of the old stuff for analysis... but the wife combined my containers of oil... so I have my truck's oil mixed with my car's oil so that won't help... I will send off a sample in a while so that I can be certain everything is good.

Thanks for the help!
BTW: I have seen what having two oil filter seals does to a gasser (on my car at a "quick lube" place...) and I couldn't imagine what it would do to a CTD!

Quick Reply: Oil Filter question(s)