Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Biodiesel???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008 | 09:57 PM
firemedic740
|
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biodiesel???

Alright guys, so Im kinda new here and Ive looked through the forums and haven't really seen the answer. Has anybody ran veggie bio through their trucks and had a problem? I have all the veggie i need to make it, just wondering if its worth the money to buy the equipment to make it. What do I need to know?

Old 03-19-2008 | 10:44 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Biodiesel???

Read this post.....for more info

https://dodgeforum.com/m_1130866/tm.htm

Old 03-19-2008 | 10:47 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Witht he 6.7 you may encounter problems. I am not sure, with my 5.9 I run wvoand pump mix and love it.

Old 03-20-2008 | 04:21 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

There is a difference between real biodiesel and waste veggie oil. Cummins allows the use of B5 biodiesel in all its engines, and B20 in fleet/government vehicles. WVO would probably run just fine in your 6.7L, but if you brought it in for warranty workwith your exhaust smelling like french fries the service guys would probably hassle you over it.

Old 03-20-2008 | 07:17 AM
behindbars

My buddy and I have been kicking around the biodiesel gig for a couple of months now. Here's the problems we came up with.
1. Finding enough oil. You only get about 75% back as fuel the rest is waste. 2. The cost of the processor, chemicals, electricity and supplies (pumps, filters). It would take a long time to recoup that cost. 3. Where to put the equipment and store the oil? It stinks , is messy, and the chemicals are dangerous. 4. Time. Getting the oil, preparing, making, cleanup, etc. 5. Getting it to run right in your truck. We we looking at going 50/50 with pump fuel in the summer and only 5-20% in the winter.
Unless we come up with some easy solutions it doesn't look like it's worth it for us right now.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Biodiesel???