Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HELP! Someone hit my new truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
73Jim
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Someone hit my new truck!!!

The problem with trying to straighten a panel like yours is that the panel is not only bent, but the metal will be stretched as well. You are definitely going past the point of point of diminishing returns. Like dingo said the cost of the labor involved to reform the metal far exceeds the cost of a new panel. I can’t believe someone would even attempt such a repair.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 AM
RamItOne

No prob jimmy, glad someone can benefit from my knowledge of 40+ states insurance laws from auto to property to marine. Ugh......

Think I'm gonna start reading the phone book to push out some of that info.

The worst thing is having to file a claim against your own ins co without having your own lawyer, however in this case the damage done is too minimal to warrant the cost of an atty.

Still waiting to here if he's filing under collision or uninsured motorist property damage, the latter would be the best way to go however its not standard on INS pols but not uncommon either.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:04 AM
justviper1
Veteran

i would definitely fight for a new bed side if not a new bed! the body shop that i deal with is damn good and i don't even think that he would consider something like this. i don't think that it will ever look perfect unless you get a new side. when i had my dakota the bottoms of the doors started to rust so i figured that i would let a guy that came to my dad's garage fiberglass them and paint them just on the bottom where the rust was. well first the paint never matched because it was the fire amber red color and the fiberglass work was horrible! i would never let a body shop try to straighten my bed side like that, even if i did have to pay the difference for the new side! I would also be looking for new insurance if they tried to pull that kind of stuff with me!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
dingo3g
Rookie

Do you have some pictures of the damage? Then we could see for sure what kind of damage we're dealing with.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:43 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

shoot, When a trailer landed on my bed it pushed in a baseball sized spot above my drivers side taillight and they replaced my bedside.....

Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 PM
al5608
Professional

Demand new parts all you want. Cry and cry for months. Read your insurance policy that you singed. If your filing a claim against you own policy, yourinsurance company has the right to do what ever they want to fix your vehicle the cheapest way. You don't have a leg to stand on.UNLESS, you get an adjuster that's a nice guy. And he really cares. You MIGHT be able to convince them of putting on a bedside. But...... Good luck.

You are never going to get a new bed. Unless the outer bedside was damaged so bad, it also damaged the inner, bad enough that it couldn't be fixed. They'll put on a bedside before a new bed.

And without pictures. Nobody can say it can't be fixed. Pushed in a foot? That doesn't determin weather it can be fixed properly or not.

It isALWAYS better torepair a panel, (if it can properly be repaired) than replace a weld on panel, and break factory seams.

Sometimes insurance will write to repair a panel that I think should be replaced. So is what we do is a "attempt repair". I'll work on it for an hour or so to make sure it can't be repaired properly. Then we'll replace it. I just went thru this process with guess what? A Dodge Ram 2500 bedside.

I could go on for hours and hours about those co#% sucking insurance companies, but I won't. Post some good picutures of you bedside and I can tell you it it can be fixed properly or not.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: al5608

Demand new parts all you want. Cry and cry for months. Read your insurance policy that you singed. If your filing a claim against you own policy, yourinsurance company has the right to do what ever they want to fix your vehicle the cheapest way. You don't have a leg to stand on.UNLESS, you get an adjuster that's a nice guy. And he really cares. You MIGHT be able to convince them of putting on a bedside. But...... Good luck.

You are never going to get a new bed. Unless the outer bedside was damaged so bad, it also damaged the inner, bad enough that it couldn't be fixed. They'll put on a bedside before a new bed.

And without pictures. Nobody can say it can't be fixed. Pushed in a foot? That doesn't determin weather it can be fixed properly or not.

It isALWAYS better torepair a panel, (if it can properly be repaired) than replace a weld on panel, and break factory seams.

Sometimes insurance will write to repair a panel that I think should be replaced. So is what we do is a "attempt repair". I'll work on it for an hour or so to make sure it can't be repaired properly. Then we'll replace it. I just went thru this process with guess what? A Dodge Ram 2500 bedside.

I could go on for hours and hours about those co#% sucking insurance companies, but I won't. Post some good picutures of you bedside and I can tell you it it can be fixed properly or not.

All he has to do is tell them what he wants, then leave the claim open until they get tired of it and give in. They are always ancy to get a claim closed, so it will really **** them off to just give them a cold shoulder...

Old 03-22-2008, 03:38 PM
al5608
Professional

Your absolutly right about that. But...... I have seen insurance companies leave claims open for over a year on people who are just trying to strong armthe insurance company into getting what they want. They know what's going on. Bottom line, READ YOU POLICY!! But, you might get lucky and get a really nice insurance adjuster. It can happen. I would like to see some close up pics of the damage. Just because the metal looks really bad, and is all stretched out, and torn, doesn't mean it can't be fixed properly. I would always choose to have a welded on panel repaired than replaced, if the repair was done correctly.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:31 PM
dmp

HI Mark, sorry to hear about your truck. First quedtion did you take the truck to your shop or to one of the ins coshops. the ins co shops or drp shops work forthe ins co not you. They give consesions to get the volume, if your not happy take the truck somewhere else, the truck belongs toYOU not the ins co. In pa steering is illegal as it is in all states. I don't know what state you are in but there is an autobody association whereever you are. Iown a frame and alignment shop in pa and deal with this every day. Second call your agent and complain HE IS MAKING THE MONEY OFF YOU make him earn it. good luck if i can be of any help let me know

Quick Reply: HELP! Someone hit my new truck!!!