Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hi everyone, new guy here

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:38 AM
lexustech48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everyone, new guy here

Hi. Well, my name is Ed and I currently live in California, but for most of my adult life, AZ was home. Planning on moving back when my lease here in Cali is up. Currently a tech for a Lexus dealer, but planning to go back to school....wrenching for a living sucks... my opinion though.

I ride a 2007 Harley Fatboy. Currently its the only thing I have right now. Fun and great on gas but not having 4 wheels is getting tough, specially when I need food from the store, when it rains etc.

Anyway, I joined here because I have really been thinking about getting a CTD 3500 Ram as my 4 wheeled vehicle. Probably will be a year before I have enough saved for a down payment...and most likely that year will start after I move back to AZ. Might seem like overkill getting a 3500 as a second ride, but I have some good reasons. Power, ruggedness, Biofuel and getting into 5th wheeling are my biggest. The CTD takes the cake bar none (LOVE straight 6 engines).

So Ill be on here lurking and posting questions. Figure Ill ask my first question now so here goes:

Where are the 3rd gen (2003-current) 3500's built? From seeing the VIN from trucks for sale it looks like they are all built in Mexico. Are there any built here in the states if so how can I tell if I have found one? Im pretty sure that the VIN starting with the 3 is Mexico, but I make be wrong. And by built do they mean assembled from US parts or is everything manufactured there? Love my country and want to make sure that I can get my hands on a US built 3500 if possible, but if not Im not all too concerned. Just a preference I suppose.

looks like a fun place here. look forward to meeting everyone.

Ed

Old 03-23-2008, 02:50 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Default RE: Hi everyone, new guy here

7th digit of the VIN tells ya where it was made http://www.stockmopar.com/mopar-vin-decoding.html

I know mine is a Mexico truck I want to say St. Louis still makes trucks also though.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:43 AM
SnoPro Dodge

Welcome to the site. These guys and gals here are great. They know their stuff. I don't post much, but follow posts regularly. You will learn much if you hang out here. Cummins rule!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53816/4AA78E00613E4103ACC72A5CED47DA12.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Az2500Cummins08

The 2500 and 3500 are exactly the same. The only difference between the 2 is the 3500 has an overload spring.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM
behindbars

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

My '06 was made in St Louis.

Let's see some pics of the bike. There's alot of guys with bikes on here. There's also a growing crowd of campers on here too. Sit back and enjoy. Don't take it personal if someone busts your ***** a time or 2 it's all in good fun on here.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Az2500Cummins08

And dont pay any attention to RamItOne, he is a fat guy who can't get laid so he is always crying.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 AM
woligator
Record Breaker

heya, welcome whit us just be careful at any pic u may post Mayfair or Sharky WILL use them against u
beside that to speed up thing bit tell us ur income,ur bank saving and we will tell u what to do to spend big money on ur truck,btw get a mortgage if u didnt have one yet
u will be able to spend foolishly on ur truck more easily

Old 03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome, there is a pretty decent group in Az and when you decide to make it back out here we will have a meet and greet, now with the bio fuel you are going to want to go 06 or before and a 5.9

Old 03-23-2008, 01:05 PM
lexustech48

Yeah, Im REALLY looking forwad to getting back to Arizona. Other than the stupid high heat in the summer time (not bad though to get used to), I love the weather and the BEST landscape Ive ever seen. Miss my rides on desert backroads!

here's a pic of my hog. I had the UNFORTUNATE luck this past week to have gone down on it. was braking on grade going down hill and front tire hit some old slick road paint and locked up my front tire. Not serious at all and didnt hit anything but the ground and damaged my bike. So I have my new mirrors on and am not running my front fender. [:@] I get mad thinking about it! Just an excuse to modify now.

As far as saving, theres not a chance that will happen in CA. Lets just say that my rent check is simply my first of two paychecks I get a month. If I were in AZ, this rent check would cover rent for an apartment, my bike, my insurances and my school loan. The second check would be for utilities and.... anything I want! You guys recommend joining a credit union?

I am a Senior Certified Lexus technician (certified thorugh Lexus, not the dealerships) so Im confidant that I can find a job somewhere in Phoenix and bring home a decent paycheck. looking to get out of the industry though, or at least be able to put the wrench down. Its not a bad job, just not something I wanna do for the rest of my life.

-Ed

[IMG]local://upfiles/86675/C5EF49547878475984A881CCB0914373.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 06:36 PM
behindbars

Nice bike.

My cousin was a tech at a Pittsburgh Lexus dealer. Hehad enough of yuppies now he's wrenching on big rigs at a trucking company and is happy as can be.