Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anybody see the cheap oil alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody see the cheap oil alternative

finny what's the skinny on your front end, what the hell is in the bag.
On my iPhone so can't see it that well.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
finny
All Star

its a 12,000 pound winch. we cover it in a bag so the salt doesnt get in there and destroy it.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
stevew
Professional

oil alternative

[IMG]local://upfiles/80009/8A987F1ADE5848939D9BAA6CB0EEF9A5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80009/F5FF745B78034B59B0C780681D80E78D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
RamItOne

hell I'd have ripped that off a long time ago the way I drive, even ripped off my front lic plate last month, went up a ditch head on, didn't notice it till the next day.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

yeah 160,000 barrels a day sounds better lol

as for the liquified coal, the germans did that in wwii for their airplanes.
You beat me to it

Old 03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
blownsoot

Ramitone, there is a couple of major problems with covering 10% of my state with solar and wind power, the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine, since you can't store ac energy on a cold calm winter night your out put would be 0 megawatts.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is an interesting fact about some of the oil wells we once thought were dried up.

we went back a few years later only to find they once again contained oil, not in the capacity of when they were first tapped, but oil was there.

I'm not saying it is a renuable resource, however I am saying the surrounding ground absorbed oil for how many millions of years. then comes the law of equilibrium

Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM
handymanherb
Banned

You can store in DC and invert back to AC, but the best way would be stay on the grid, so during the day, you feeding your extra powerto the grid and get paid for it and then you can get it back at night when the demand on the grid is less.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:19 PM
RamItOne

I said land area equal to the size of 10% of Nevada, didn't mean to take a 10% chunk of Nevada, it would have to be spread out through the country. As for when its calm we wouldn't have torn down the coal plants and they would help during peak times or night times if the stored elec is not enough
A fedex sort facility in Oakland put solar panels on their roof, well they make mone now, they pump a lot of elec back into the grid,dont have to draw from the elec co any more.

I personally think that every new house built that costs over 250k should have to have solar panels installed (may not work in high snow areas), make it federally backed where so the builder gets subsidized a bit and the extra cost can easily be absorbed in the sale price. They actually don't cost much to install, I was thinking about doing that to my house but I rarely use much elect, 40 dollar utility bills in a 2400 sat house go figure, but would have cost 10 to 15 k to get enough panels to power 80% of a typical house my size. Now it obviously wouldn't cost the builder that much cause the contractor that does the panels would do it for an entire neighborhood so the cost would be lower.
Start off with 250k homes, once its more common place itll be more affordable for existing homeowners and then change to 250k down to all new 175k homes come with solar panels.
The larger homes do draw quite a bit of power, friends dad just dropped a mil on a new home (even has an elevator in it), his monthly utility bill is 600-800 bucks. Has two ac units, get this the damn AC air filters are 5 inches deep, try finding that at home depot LOL.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
blownsoot

AC current is not storable,it has to be produced as it is used, if you pump extra onto the grid all you will do is increase voltage, how do you think some of those nifty electornics we all have would like voltage swings?As for peaking with coal the plants are not built for that they are base load units, full bore 24/7. I am an operations foreman at a coal fired generating station, we have 2 250 megawatt units between the two of them I can ramp 5 mw a minute before running into unit stability issues and turbine stress issues, to start one of the units and load it to full load takes anywhere from 4 to 36 hours depending on how long it has set, boiler temp, turbine temp, and anyother issues that may come up during the process, I have been involved in start ups that took 5 days.All I am trying to say is like it or not coal is here to stay, we might as well take as many benefits from it as we can.

Quick Reply: Anybody see the cheap oil alternative