Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CTD acted wierd last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
agargano98
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTD acted wierd last night

here's the story........
i was getting ready to leave work last night 2:00 A.M. i hit the remote start, at 2:15 i get to my truck and the lights are on but it is not running. i hit the brakes to disable the starter mode. turn the key and it fired right up. i put on my seatbelt, and it stalls again. i turn the key off and try again. it fires right up and no problems all the way home. no CEL i'm stumped. here are the trucks stats
6.7L, 20,000 miles, 5000 since oil air filter and fuel filter change, fuel from reputable station, ran power service grey with this tank (it's warmed up a little bit up here). anyone know whats going on. a 1 year old truck should not be doing this kind of stuff. i've been a Chevy guy all my life and i finally broke down and got the dodge (specificly for the CTD). i hope i didn't make a mistake.
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
justviper1
Veteran
Default RE: CTD acted wierd last night

you didn't make a mistake at all on your purchase of a ctd over a chevy! i would say that it sounds like something to do with the remote starter. who put it in and what brand is it? was the place that did it a reputable place? could be wiring or possibly the unit malfunctioning. thats what i would look into more. i don't think that it is a problem with the actual truck but the remote start. im sure someone else will chime in that know more about the newer trucks than myself.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM
agargano98
Veteran

it still did it one time not using the starter. turn key, fired up and stalled

Old 03-26-2008, 11:54 AM
agargano98
Veteran

ttt

Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
lexustech48

Well sound slike that starter is wired into the ECU system. If that box is actin funny, your ride is goingt o act funny. I would honestly have the starter removed and then drive it. If it still does it, then yea its the truck.

Dunno what the warrenty would be on the truck though if that remote start is aftermarket.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Agreed. Even if you key the truck on, the sending unit is still gonna have to relay through the remote starter (which is inline from the ignition switch to the starter). Since you said that the truck didn't stall until you buckled the seatbelt, I'm gonna assume that there's wires crossed somewhere. I know in some remote starters if you touch the brake, the shifter, or the seatbelt before putting the key in, it will kill the engine. One more thing... who installed the remote start?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked for codes???

you dont have to have the CEL light on for there to be codes.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
agargano98
Veteran

it didn't stall from buckling the seatbelt i just gave that as a reference of time. so in another words i started it and after 10-15 seconds it stalled. and it wasn't a clean stall, it was more like a sputter and die.
ORIGINAL: dirtydodge02

Agreed. Even if you key the truck on, the sending unit is still gonna have to relay through the remote starter (which is inline from the ignition switch to the starter). Since you said that the truck didn't stall until you buckled the seatbelt, I'm gonna assume that there's wires crossed somewhere. I know in some remote starters if you touch the brake, the shifter, or the seatbelt before putting the key in, it will kill the engine. One more thing... who installed the remote start?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

ORIGINAL: agargano98

I ran power service grey with this tank (it's warmed up a little bit up here).
You might want to quit using PS in the fuel. I got quite abit of information on fuel additives and PS is not a passing grade for fuel lubricity. (575 HFRR) The passing grade has to be below %20 HFRR...

My write up...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2.../HFRR/HFRR.htm

The orignal write upby DieselPlace.com
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=178848

The problem with 6.7L truck the DPF doesn't like additves very much and BIO fuels tend to cause problems too. I would consult the owner manual and read up on exactly what is required for fuel and what additives are allowed.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
wraith1176

I thought I would chime in here. I installed remote starters for 3 years at circuit city and the remote start has a bypass switch that should isolate the remote starter from the truck, if it has one, try turning that off, the switch is designed for serviceing the vehicle to remove any doubt that the remote starter is the problem. Also any remote start I ever installed had its own realys and only uses the signal from those to feed the ignition and start wires in the vehicle, so when the remote start is not activated the truck doesn't even know its there.

Quick Reply: CTD acted wierd last night