Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

warming up in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: warming up in the morning

that is an awesome idea. Living in CA I'll never need it but I will put it in the steve archive for use at a later date

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

Block heater is going to be your best bet.
What if you out in the sticks camping? Most of my camp grounds don't have a current bush near by...

I did not know it was bad to let your CTD idle. Hell I warm mine up atleast 5 minutes in the morning, I have let it idle for close to a hour at a time without moving it. I thought Diesels can idle forever with no problems. Am I wrong?
Yes it very hard on a diesel to sit at a idle. It just doesn't make enough heat to warm the engine up. That's way most big trucks have a high idle switch that allows them to kick up to 1,100-1,200 RPM's then then can sit forever. (At least the bigger trucks). As for our small engines I've seen winters here pull in and stop and watch the coolant gauge fall down to the 140*F at -22*F outside... Even with my exhaust brake on it was barely enough to keep heat in the cab... Now with high idle it just ramps up and heats up to 175*f and shuts down again...

I'm right there with ya mayfair. I understand green, blue, black, and red... But what's mopar tryin to say?? Although, I didn't know our trucks had a 3-cylinder mode! I was warming up the truck this morning and all of a sudden, it sounded like it was misfiring! My friend was wondering what the hell it was doing! I just smiled (like I knew it was supposed to do that, but I was really just smiling as I looked at his tiny Chevy 1500 sitting next to mine). Now I know!
None of the 1998.5 to 2002 has this function unless it enabled by the dealer (for $120 bucks) or you barrow a Smarty for a moment (free!!!). Now I'm not certain but most 2003 and above have this function. But you might have to check with the dealer for your VIN number.

As for the wiring diagram the ON/OFF switch either uses the stock sensor or kicks over to the FAKE sensor (resistor pack) the high ohm'ed resistor is 3 cylinder high and the smaller is high idle. So basically its just two rocker swtiches ans two resistors.

(This has been tested on 2nd Gen 24V trucks Only!)
If you want to try this out for a trial. Unplug your IAT sensor and put a 65K ohm resistor (Blue, Green, Orange, Gold)in the plug (the lead going to the ECM). Now start the truck. It takes about 1 minute for the High to start. Once the tach hits 1,200 RPM's the 3 cylinder mode will start. This will run till coolant temps reach 175*F or you cancel it by tapping the throttle. It will restart again if the coolant temps are below 140*F. Don't leave the resistor plugged in. The IAT controls fueling and timing for the engine under load!

The orignal software (high idle) looks for tempsbelow <32*F. Now if its 28*F out and you turn your key to ON and the WAIT TO START lights so does the grid heaters. Now the manifold temp rises and its above >32*F and high idle is cancelled completely. This is very annoying to me. I've got temps here all the time at 25-35*F in morning here in the fall and spring of the year.

I've got to get off my butt and build mine... I got a friend on another site that built one and he likes it. He's building a second one now that is going to control ECT sensor so he can have high idle at anytime!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 AM
austin
Veteran

Well I probably should have told yall. I live in Dallas, TX. The winters aren't bad, and the summers are great. Now it is about 65* when i get up in the morning. So I go outside and start it up, turn on the high idle to 1400RPM and let it sit for about 5min. By the time I get to school it is ALMOST fully warmed up. The engine should be about 160* or so... Is that still bad?

Also idling is bad? What if I turn on the high idle to 1200rpm, is that good enough to let it idle for a while?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

AT those temp I would just fire it up and head out... I would just drive light and easy till the coolant temp comes up... The only time I concider warm up period is if the outside temp is <32*F and the truck is unplugged... Other than that it will warm up much faster under load than idling... Less fuel wasted...

Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

ORIGINAL: mopar1973man

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

Block heater is going to be your best bet.
What if you out in the sticks camping? Most of my camp grounds don't have a current bush near by...

I did not know it was bad to let your CTD idle. Hell I warm mine up atleast 5 minutes in the morning, I have let it idle for close to a hour at a time without moving it. I thought Diesels can idle forever with no problems. Am I wrong?
Yes it very hard on a diesel to sit at a idle. It just doesn't make enough heat to warm the engine up. That's way most big trucks have a high idle switch that allows them to kick up to 1,100-1,200 RPM's then then can sit forever. (At least the bigger trucks). As for our small engines I've seen winters here pull in and stop and watch the coolant gauge fall down to the 140*F at -22*F outside... Even with my exhaust brake on it was barely enough to keep heat in the cab... Now with high idle it just ramps up and heats up to 175*f and shuts down again...

I'm right there with ya mayfair. I understand green, blue, black, and red... But what's mopar tryin to say?? Although, I didn't know our trucks had a 3-cylinder mode! I was warming up the truck this morning and all of a sudden, it sounded like it was misfiring! My friend was wondering what the hell it was doing! I just smiled (like I knew it was supposed to do that, but I was really just smiling as I looked at his tiny Chevy 1500 sitting next to mine). Now I know!
None of the 1998.5 to 2002 has this function unless it enabled by the dealer (for $120 bucks) or you barrow a Smarty for a moment (free!!!). Now I'm not certain but most 2003 and above have this function. But you might have to check with the dealer for your VIN number.

As for the wiring diagram the ON/OFF switch either uses the stock sensor or kicks over to the FAKE sensor (resistor pack) the high ohm'ed resistor is 3 cylinder high and the smaller is high idle. So basically its just two rocker swtiches ans two resistors.

(This has been tested on 2nd Gen 24V trucks Only!)
If you want to try this out for a trial. Unplug your IAT sensor and put a 65K ohm resistor (Blue, Green, Orange, Gold)in the plug (the lead going to the ECM). Now start the truck. It takes about 1 minute for the High to start. Once the tach hits 1,200 RPM's the 3 cylinder mode will start. This will run till coolant temps reach 175*F or you cancel it by tapping the throttle. It will restart again if the coolant temps are below 140*F. Don't leave the resistor plugged in. The IAT controls fueling and timing for the engine under load!

The orignal software (high idle) looks for tempsbelow <32*F. Now if its 28*F out and you turn your key to ON and the WAIT TO START lights so does the grid heaters. Now the manifold temp rises and its above >32*F and high idle is cancelled completely. This is very annoying to me. I've got temps here all the time at 25-35*F in morning here in the fall and spring of the year.

I've got to get off my butt and build mine... I got a friend on another site that built one and he likes it. He's building a second one now that is going to control ECT sensor so he can have high idle at anytime!
Something tells me we're all going to learn a great deal from you Mike. On the 3-cylinder mode topic, do trucks that have the feature for the idle also have a 3-cylinder "cruise" mode like the Hemi's MDS?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

IIRC the3-cylinder mode is only available on 2nd Gen trucks with the VP44 pump. 3rd Gen trucks were not made with the a 3-cylinder mode.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM
RamItOne

Figures the more tech added to a vehicle the less you can do. I'm waiting for the day you can even drive through a puddle without frying something. Oh well I make my serpentine squeal all the time with our damn highwater crossings.

My first oil burner/leaker was an inline 5 300D, it would take about 10 miles to warm up. Always had to keep the gas pedal pushed to keep from stalling when I pulled out of the driveway.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dirtydodge02

Something tells me we're all going to learn a great deal from you Mike. On the 3-cylinder mode topic, do trucks that have the feature for the idle also have a 3-cylinder "cruise" mode like the Hemi's MDS?
It should for 2003+ model trucks... But my information for the 3rd Gen's is limited right know... I need to pull out the FSM books and do some more reading I guess... Or find another person with it and learn from them....

Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
JoeDiesel

Condensation is gone the fist time the cylinder fires.

Quick Reply: warming up in the morning