Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Has anyoneadded this option??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Mark.hughes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyoneadded this option??

I absolutly love everything about my new 2500 SLT EXCEPT that fact that I did not get the lights on top of the cab. Everytime I see a truck with them I get so damn jelous.......Don't ask me why, but I want them BAD....Has anyone added them to their truck? I would think the wires are aleady there, but I am not sure.

Please advise.

Mark

Old 04-03-2008, 10:43 PM
burban2002
Veteran
Default RE: Has anyoneadded this option??

Lots of people have added them. You can go to dodge and get the kit for them too. I'm not sure if the wiring is there but even if it isn't, its pretty easy to do if you can get over drilling into the roof. Luckily the PO did it for me--I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 PM
savage.basher

You can get a set from the dealer (mopar set), and they will plug in to the stock wiring hrnessand you get a template to drill the roof. Or you can get a set from www.gorecon.com (if you want a clear or smoked set), but you will have to measure yourself to drill the holes and you will have to wire them yourself as well. Either set will get the job done. I bought the recon lights and measure and wired myself... wasn't more than a few hour job and it looks great. I haven't had a single leak and am 100% confident thatI never will, by looking atthe partsI installed and how I installed them. Nothing to worry about, My suggestion is to do it!!..... just don't drill a hole in the wrong spot, or it may be an expensive mistake .It is 15 holes btw. 10 @ 1/8" (I think) and 5 @ 1/4" or so for the wires. Either one will require dropping the front of the headliner a little bit, but again not hard to do.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Mark.hughes

Savage, Funny you replied. I was just admiring the pictures of your truck and new tires...I have the exact same truck as your's and I was pissed that you had the lights...

Old 04-03-2008, 11:52 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I put cab lights on mine. You can get the OEM cab light kit here: https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_i...roducts_id/320 The factory cab light kit comes with a template that the aftermarket kits don't have. Some guys use a hole saw to cut the five7/8" holesin the roof but I used knockout punches. You can get a set of those from harbor freight for about $15. You'll need a3/8's drill motor and about a 5/16" bit (I think) to bore guideholes for the knockout punchesplus some masking tapeto hold the template in place. It's real easy to do.The hardest part is lining up the template.Just take your time and get it right..

Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

RedRam did a GREAT write-up on this. If this is something you are seriously considering doing, make sure you read this! There is NO better way to explain this DIY. https://dodgeforum.com/m_1150831/tm.htm

Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Also, check with Dave (Parts/Service) for pricing on OEM lights...

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

Ive put em on about 5 times now, very easy to do. I always buy them off ebay for 69.95 plus 10-15 shipping- about the cheapest place ive seen. To me trucks dont look the same without em.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Mark.hughes

Wana make a road trip to buffalo NY and help me out???

Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

O i have faith in you doing it- Buffalo a little drive for an hour job. The instructionsare very detailed and the template is easy to use- just a hint of advise if you do it yourself mist water on top of your cab before placing the template that way its not bunched up, and I always drop the liner after drilling the holes- saves the metal chips from going all over your truck. If that helps!

Quick Reply: Has anyoneadded this option??