Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

few gauge questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few gauge questions...

best place for pyro thermocoupler? cyls 1-3? 4-6? other?
best place for trans temp sensor? in tranny pan? in fluid line?
any one use the windshield gauge mount up by the rearview morror? opinions?
most important gauges for an '07 5.9?
any answers for questions i missed?

thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: few gauge questions...

one of the easier places to put it is right where #3 dumps. but the hottest temps will happen at #6.

trans temp sensor, find the output line from the tranny going to the cooler and put it there. however in the pan itself will work.

the winshield mount is pretty sweet, but you have to route the lines through the head liner. I have the SRT-10 a-pillar and tossed in a dual westach boost egt gage. looks almost stock.

for your boost pickup, you can actualy remove one of the bolts that holds the top of the manifold and put in a pass through bolt and get your boost pressure there. if you need a pick I'll see if I can find one of mine.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
mytowrig
Captain

drew, on the dieselmanor website, for the isspro gauges, it shows to put the thermo coupler here:

but then it also says that its for cyls 1-3, and therefor would show cooler temps. that's what prompted me to ask this in the first place. is there a better place for install? you mentioned a pic? would it be like point B in bigriver's install?

which one is BEST? i'm guessing both the dieselmanor pic and B of bigriver's pic are post turbo, and A on bigriver's pic is pre-turbo?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Mayfair
Legend

WOW I don't think I've ever seen someone install one here

I have mine mounted after the turbo only because I wanted to know when it was cool enough to shut down after towing.

As far as the overhead console goes, Kingdog put his up there and it looks AWESOME !! He likes it there as well.

Gauges? I'd go with fuel pressure, boost, and pyro and if you can get one more I'd go with tranny temp. If you do get the tranny gauge and you have the hy-tech pan, I'd just screw it in there.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Splicer

which one is BEST? i'm guessing both the dieselmanor pic and B of bigriver's pic are post turbo, and A on bigriver's pic is pre-turbo?
You have that backwards pyro in the exhaust manifold is pre turbo and the one in the down pipe "A" in BigRivers install post turbo.

I think if you just want one pyro and are not affraid to drill and tap your exhaust mainfold that is where you should put it. If the cylinders are number 1-6 front to back I think if you went with the dieselmanor picture you be reading 3-6 I may be wrong, I am sure someone else with either confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 PM
SnoPro Dodge

When I put my edge with juice in my '99the instructions showedto put it pre turbo right in the middle of the manifold.Is this a bad spot? Pyro would read a little higher than most,correct?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Drew
Professional

the 2nd gen manifold is different from the 3rd gens. the 2nd gens 1-3 is on one side and 4-6 is on the other. for the 3rd gens 1-4 is all on one side and 5&6 is on it's own.

now I have seen some pyro installs as marked with the X. however most installs are in the area of the 3rd exhaust port.

now after turbo is a good place to mount the pyro, but by the time you see your in trouble, your valves may be toast, pre turbo will tell you what the engine is doing, post turbo will only show you what the turbo is seeing.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
mytowrig
Captain

drew, any way you could post a pic of the best spot for an install on an '07 5.9? and by best, i mean the spot thats gonna help keep me outta trouble, and not "warn" me too late.[:-]

Old 04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Drew
Professional

here is a pic of where my pyro is. . .right where #3 dumps out, also where my boost bolt is mounted for my boost gage

where I have mine mounted will give you more than enough of a warning that something is getting too hot. these 3rd gens can handle the occasional venture above 1500F for a second or two, however 1350F is a good point to back out, any hotter for any length of time will cause heat soaking and something will melt. just to let you know, I have been above 1500 in the past. lugged the engine a little too much with the TST cranked up. no harm seeing as I was only there for a moment. upshifting took care of that and was able to get boost up to cool things down.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
bert0168
Professional

Drew,
You mentioned a "through bolt" which allows you to use an existing bolt hole. Is this something that came with your Westach gauge? Is that what we see in the picture? I am leaning towards a dual pyro/boost gauge setup in the a pillar as well.

Quick Reply: few gauge questions...