Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Steering groan help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 AM
kgn2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering groan help

Need some advice on steering noise.
When I turn corners or pull into park in the driveway the steering makes a groaning noise thatI can feel in the steering wheel. I have changed the PS fluid and it doesn't leak any fluid.After the fluid change it worked great until everything got warmed up to operating temp. I have been driving it for several months now groaning at every turn and I'm getting fed up. It acts like the pump may be starving for fluid. I don't think the wheel is any harder to turn than it use to.

Does anyone have any Ideas?

I have a 2001 4x4 2500 5.9 truck is stock with stock tire size.

I do need new sway bar bushings and shocks, but Idon't think that would help my groaning problem.

This is my first time to post so ifI did it wrong who cares[:'(]

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Scott91370
Professional
Default RE: Steering groan help

Have you checked the fluid since you flushed it? Could be that if you drained it all out it may have an ait bubble in it. Just don't over fill it, I learned the hard way- replacing blown seals is no fun on a fwd car.

Also, to help narrow it down you could put the front on stands (obviously supported very well), with the key in the ignitionturned forward (truck not running). Next turn the actual wheel/tire assembly by hand and see if it makes noise. If it does then it won't be the pump/rack because fluid won't be being pushed through.

Good luck. Power steering is great but it sucks when there is problems.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah jack it up and go stop to stop slowly with the cap off the pump. sometimes air bubbles get stuck in there and it makes noise.

if there isnt any air bubbles than try draining some fluid and put som Lucas power steering fluid. That cures noisy power steering on fords.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
12valveman
Professional

hey kgn what kind of fluid did you put back in it ? and also why did you flush it was it for this concern? have found that if you use chrysler atf plus 4 in the ps on these they run smooth and no noise but if you had a concern before was it from low fluid where you may have damaged the pump due to scoring. have seen this often where guys have run it for a long time with the moan noise and the fluid was low and in poor quality causing pump damage and no matter what you put in it it usually wont go away. try the plus 4 trans fluid which chrysler uses in everything now and make sure it is full if it still makes noise you may need a pump. good luck

Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

before you mess with the fluid again, i would try cleaning the serp. belt with belt cleaner. it fixed a chrysler townand country in my family that was doing the same thing.

hope it helps

Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
kgn2001

Thanks for the help.

The pump has never been off the full mark it just started groaning one day. First thing I did was check the fluid.I had a local mechanic suggest draining and changing the fluid before trying to put on a new pump.He also got me to try the Lucas additive. It worked for a while then went back to groaning within 2 days It had so much Lucas in it this winter it was hard to turn the wheel until the fluid warmed up.

I jacked it up a couple of months ago and went stop to stop several times to get any air outI finally got ticked off and gave up. I'm going to check it out again this weekend.

Truck dude you might be right about the belt. It has been a while since I put on a new one. It looks ok and doesn't' squeal, but I will put a new one on just for good measure.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

Ok first off the Power sterring fluid is suppose to be changed ever 30K miles.

Second off most all Dodge cummins trucks tend to moan and groan when the outside temps are low. Even mine does it on -20*F mornings...

When I change mine out I pull a return line (ones with a hose clamp) and route it to a waste container. Then cap the nipple of the pump where the hose went to. Then fill the pump total full. The start the engine. rock the steering wheel lightly back and forth till the pump is empty. (Takes about 2-3 second). Reload and do again 3-5 times. The re-hook all hosesback up as normal refill the pump and purge the air from the system.

At least this way everything gets flushed the pump, steering gear box, and the brake booster...

Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: mopar1973man
re-hook all hosesback up as normal refill the pump and purge the air from the system.
How do you do that?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

yeah, my serp. belt was new 2,000 miles ago but every now and then its kinda squeals a little if i turn the wheels when im at a stand still.. if you dont wanna change out the belt, just use the belt cleaner first, i thought it did a great job on the town and country.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:04 PM
mopar1973man
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: mopar1973man
re-hook all hosesback up as normal refill the pump and purge the air from the system.
How do you do that?
Rather simple... Just fill the pump up with fluid and then start the engine. Gently rock the steering wheel back and forth lightly. Not enough to move the tires but enough to movce the valve in the steering box. This pushs fluid on bothsides of the piston and pushes out the air.

You'll have to let the foam settle awhile and check the level again without all the foam... I've done this 4 times now and never had a issue with gunting noises, or stiff power steering or brakes. My fluid is always nice and clean. Not dark and nasty smelling...

Quick Reply: Steering groan help