Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

front shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
mytowrig
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: front shock replacement

so i guess using a deep socket on the top is out of the question? as far as someone else helping me, not gonna happen. i'm on my location all by my lonesome in the middle of nowhere. (oilfield). thanks guys for your help!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 PM
mytowrig
Captain

saber ; how did you get to the front pass lower bold with the steering stabilizer in the way? or did you have to remove it to get to the bolt?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 AM
SpLaT
Captain

i'm on my location all by my lonesome in the middle of nowhere. (oilfield).
I hear ya, last summer lost right side tie rod middle of nowhere, luckly ball and cup were in good enough shape, I lined things up and gave it whack him me pigging hammer and used some mechanics wire to keep it together till I got to town.

I had mine removed as I was installing dual stabilizer at the same time.

You on a rig or production/process side of things?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:41 AM
mytowrig
Captain

production side. we show up just as the rig leaves. i do flowbacks and testing. i didnt mean to give the wrong idea, i didnt break down or anything. i have just been wanting to replace my factory shocks for something better suited to washboard roads. i bought the shocks around christmas time and havent had a chance to put them on cause i'm only home a few hours a week. so this time i brought my ram on location and left my company ferd at home so i would have time to do it!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 AM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: mytowrig

saber ; how did you get to the front pass lower bold with the steering stabilizer in the way? or did you have to remove it to get to the bolt?
I was able to turn the wheels so that the stabilizer was not blocking the lower bolt.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 AM
savage.basher

If you use a wobble extension on the lower bolt you can get around the steering linkage and track bar with no problem, a deep well socket is not necessary. Definitely don't need to remove the wheel, but like mentioned earlier, if you jack on the frame to extended the shock it will make later reinstallation easier. You can use a wrench on the nut on top of the shock and then a small socket with a long extension and ratchet on the end of the shock stem (hold wrench, turn ratchet). Both the shock and the shock tower will come out through the hood without having to remove anything else under the hood (i.e. batteries, air cleaner, intake tube, etc.). Very easy job, nothing to worry about.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
mytowrig
Captain

thanks guys yeah, i was able to get everything through the top, just that bolt on the pass bottom was giving me trouble. i couldnt get around the linkage yest with the swivel, but i have a coworker here today that can be a set of eyes while i turn the wheel from inside and tell me when i should get access. again, thanks. i could have just started taking stuff apart and been able to get to everything, but with just the tools i have, i didnt want to get something apart and then not be able to get it back together again and be stranded![:@]

Quick Reply: front shock replacement