Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My exhaust evoloution

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust evoloution

ok I figured this would be a good topic since I have had a few different setups on my truck
I'll start from stock to current
04.5 dodge CTD

stock: ran nice fuel mileage was decent but definitely wasn't loud enough for me. the stock exhaust was on for 3-4 months

Aero turbine 4040 where stock muffler was and stock resonator: MPG was good not much better than stock power seemed the same but still wasn't loud enough. Sounded great but I thought I could gain a little more power, lower EGTs more and sound better. I ran this setup for 2 months

2 aero turbine 4040s 1 in place of the resonator and one in the stock muffler location:
This was a nice setup. I think I got a little drone in the cab but not bad this was due to the 6" tip I had on the end. I eventually put a 5" rolled tip on and it was gone The sound was great and the egts were 25 degrees lower all around. MPG was about the same as the second set up I ran. I ran this set up for 2 months. still not loud enough

all straight pipe: First thing I noticed was the loss of low end. the second thing I noticed was that the cops didn't care for it either. fuel mileage was definitely worse. ran this setup for 2 days. way too loud and it didn't sound the greatest. The cab drone was unbearable under load.

1 Aero turbine in stock muffler location: First off the sound was amazing. Loved it. It was loud but not to bad. only one or two complaints in the 1.2 years I had it on. Egts were another 25 degrees cooler than the dual aero set up. At the time I didn't realize the low end I lost from stock. fuel mileage increased from straight pipe and there was no drone in the cab. I liked this setup and would still be running it if my wife didn't have to take my truck to work once in a while and my desire to never be happy with what I got.

current set up. ARE 4" straight through muffler: I bought this from T&J diesel performance on a whim off of ebay.
eBay Motors: AFE Diesel Muffler 4" part#49-91001 Aluminized (item 230241143513 end time Apr-16-08 20:35:57 PDT)

It was cheap enough were I figured I could get rid of it if I disliked the sound.
Installed it last night and it was much quieter than my single or dual AERO turbines.
First impression was that it was not loud enough. Second impression was that I got a whole lot of power back in all ranges. its like I put a 30HP chip in. While during the test drive I had the windows down so I can hear the echo off buildings and such and it sounded good. I also told myself that it is brand new and will break in and get louder.
So in summary for this setup: power increase, there will definitely be a MPG increase as I don't have to give it more skinny pedal to get going. sound is good it will get louder but but wont be any where near as loud as my AERO. I will report back when I get at least 100 miles on it. In cab noise: none existent. egts: are probably the same but no gauges to verify.

Now. I after a few hundred miles I am going to make a decision. I read some people (steve) were running a straight through muffler and putting an aero where the resonator was and seeing even better MPG and power. I am going to keep one of my AEROs and it may get installed as well. I dont doubt that I see a 1 MPG increase by just putting this muffler on.
My original plan was to run dual AEROs again but bought this muffler as a test. definitley worth the $47 shipped to my door so far.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: My exhaust evoloution

LOL ... When I saw the title of the post,I KNEW I'd be doing a lot of reading

AERO - AERO - AERO

Old 04-15-2008, 02:15 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I dont know why you pick on me so much. I think steve has me beat on exhaust systems. maybe

Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

I'm running straight pipe now. Had it like this for about a week and I think it sounds good. I haven't noticed a loss in power and I haven't filled up yet to tell how my mileage is going to be affected. My truck definetely runs better now than when I had a clogged muffler.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

sounds alot like me and my truck...... i went thru around 5-6 diffrent ways which lead me to where im at now. i got a 1' piece after the down pipe, then an aeroXL, then a 6" piece and then a down down tip and i think its my favorite. i did not do much on mileage tests and EGT's but i did notice all that power loss you were talking about. the most power i had is when i had my exhaust coming out of the back like it does on a stock truck with 2 straight thru mufflers on with one being an aero. my power was like you said, adding a chip but i dident care much for the sound as it was to close to stock.

my book is not closed yet though, STACKS are always a nice thing to have on the list..... its just hard to spend the money on when i want so many other performance parts[]

Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 04QC4X4

I'm running straight pipe now. Had it like this for about a week and I think it sounds good. I haven't noticed a loss in power and I haven't filled up yet to tell how my mileage is going to be affected. My truck definetely runs better now than when I had a clogged muffler.
if you threw a straight through muffler in you would tell a huge difference. your clogged muffler is about the worst exhaust setup you could have. lol

Quick Reply: My exhaust evoloution