Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

With all the problems the 6.7 has.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 PM
al5608
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With all the problems the 6.7 has.....

While all these problems seem to be emmisions related. Dodge hasn't figured out how to fix all their problems yet with the new 6.7. Ford has been having their issues too with the 6.4. I haven't really heard of anything going wrong with the Duramax. While the engine stayed the same as far as it's size. My understanding they just re-did the computer, and added the DPF for the 2008 model. But are they having any issues with it? Everybody I have talked to who has the new D-max frickin loves it, and I haven't found anybody who is having any problems at all. Of course if a Chevy guy asked me how I like my truck, I wouldn't say it seems pretty gutless and the transmission is a joke, the "anit spin diff" that I paid extra for doesn't work, and whenI put it in 4 wheel drive, it'sactually only 2 wheels drive.1 rear wheel, and 1 front wheel working,i'd just tellhim I love it too.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Az2500Cummins08
Default RE: With all the problems the 6.7 has.....

My 6.7 is not gutless. Is has plenty of *****. There is more power than I need while I am towing up mountains. Both of my rear tires spin when I break them loose. The front tires both also spin when I am in the mud. I throw 4 roosters equally. Maybe your truck didnt come equipped with what the build sheet says.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM
mikebol
Veteran

I used to own a Hemi and drove it like I stole it alot. The best I could get out of it was barking the tires on dry pavement. With the 6.7L, I'm sideways in the road all the time spinning them in 1st and 2nd gear easy. I have to be gentle to the GO peddle to keep from breaking the tires loose ... my truck is far from "gutless". It's right at home pulling our 10k pound camper, it's actually a little light for it.

Mike

Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Watermelon
Captain

the 6.7's that I test drove were freakin rockets!!! I was really impressed with the power especially on the auto. And for 20k difference on the sticker, I would go with the ole Dodge any day. Just look and see what is hauling all of the Hot Shot trailers and the three car haulers out on the interstate

Old 04-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Az2500Cummins08

al506 is probably a kid who hasnt ever driven any of the big 3 diesels, and the only place he gets his info is from his dad and dads friends.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
al5608
Professional

Nope, not a kid, 32. I should of stated, my truck is a 5.9 auto, and my dad and his friends no nothing about Diesel trucks. I am new todiesel vehicles,I have only had my truck for 8 months.Maybe my truck is what it is. No joke on the diff. I got stuck in wet grass with maybe a 1% grade. 1 rear wheel, and 1 front wheet spinning while in 4x4. (tried in high then low) Someone said awhile back that Dodge had some problems with the rear ends. I guess i'll take my truck in and have them look at it. Maybe it's overkill to say it's gutless, but the truck seems pretty taxed with a 4k trailer on it. That really surprise be. I really don't thinkit could tow max capicity for very long.

But back to the question at had. Anybody know how the D-max is doing with all it's emmisions stuff added? I'm not saying chevy's better or worse, not even bashing Dodge trucks, well, just mine. Just courious, with all the problems with Ford and Dodge, I haven't heard anything about Chevy's. Wondering if anyone else has.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Az2500Cummins08

How many miles are on your truck? The limited slip (anti-spin) doesnt come standard, did your truck come with the original build sheet? If it does have it, it may be busted. the limited slips works with centrifical clutches, and it may have gotten used alot by the previous owner, and the clutches may be burned out. My truck spins all 4, never had any probs with it yet. Just turned 6,000 miles yesterday. The problem with your no traction comes from the tires, and the heavy engine under the hood. I had to use 4wd to get back my truck over a curb to hook up to my trailer on thursday, the grass was wet, and I had no traction becuase 1, the rear of trucks are light weight, and 2, the Cummins is a heavy mother fu*ker.

As for the Duramax, I know 1 guy with a new GMC 3500 Duramax, and he has no probs. He claims 20 MPG highway.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:01 PM
amock
Professional

The new D-max has their issues just as all the dealers are right now. I know they are rebuilding Allison transmissions a lot and other things. That came from a GM mechanic too. They are a hell of a motor from what they had when they first came out but i would still buy the cummins any day. I just believe the cummins is the king.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Horseman
Rookie

I had a fella tell me the same thing about his maxi-pad getting 20 plus mpg stock, I didn't call him a liar, just said I didn't believe him. Thats not the same is it?? If Icould see it with my own eyes I would be very impressed. Those mothers do put out the power and are pretty fast to boot. However the new Chevy trucks are UGGGLY...now that I think about it, my Vet has a new one, think I'll ask him, him I would believe. But it's still UGGGly.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:21 PM
19ramslt98

being a service manager at a gmc delership i get to see lot of the problems with the d-max such as the glow plugs not working and braking off in the heads while trying to replace them and the injectors having so many problems that gm has a special policy on glow plugs and injectors for 8 years and 200,000 miles no questions asked as far as the new emitions stuff it is the same engine just stupid looking exhaust and new programing for the comupter and it does not meet the 2010 regs the alisons are ok but not bulet proof and the front end is too week for the wheight of the truck and the power that it puts out.

Quick Reply: With all the problems the 6.7 has.....