Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?

Having Toyo's on my truck, I honestly have to say that everything I can find on the two makes the Goodyear look like the better choice. To boot, the Goodyear has a much more attractive tread pattern. Would look excellent mounted to those Welds. And I agree with RamIt on the insurance over the spare 7th tire. Dually'll still work with 4 treads...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 AM
RamItOne

yeah but big river made a point about these tires not just being everyday tire that you find at a local shop. ESP since he waited so long for them to get in. But I would still get the warranty, when I put new tires on I will def get the warranty and keep my old spare, even if I go with a taller tire I can still put my spare on and make it to the tire store. Just imagine though driving to a campsite and running over some sharp crap and getting two or even worse all one side flattened. I didn't get the warranty on my stockers from discount tire even though their warranty was like 30 bucks a tire, I figured if I got a flat it would be a good excuse to get some bigger tires.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

I'm told that the Goodyear's have somewhat better wear value.

He did tell me that he installs the Goodyears on ambulances and delivery trucks more often than the Toyo's.

This is a good shop, I respect his opinion.

They are going to true the tire, by measureing the diameter and shaving off a thousands of an inch or so to balance out the tire before even mounting them on the rims.

Not any tire shop can break these 19.5's down. It has to be a commercial truck shop that has the right equipment there to do it. I've had more than one regular tire shop tell me that they cannot work these tires and rims. I've got this much into the truck, might as well finish up without cutting any corners.

Back to the tires, I really want the Goodyears and I guess I'm trying to talk myself into them.

I took your post and hacked it up so that you can see between the lines. As you can see, the Goodyears are the way to go not only because the shop is comfortable working with them, but also because you'll sleep better at night.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Why are you comparing a Steer tire to an non Steer A/P tire? My boss use to run Goodyear on our semis becasue they were cheap, but I also know a lot of guys who like the Toyo's, Bridgestone a lot better.

JMHO

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Why are you comparing a Steer tire to an non Steer A/P tire?
The Toyo is model M143, which is also an all position tire. Just trying to keep the conparison the same. In all likelyhood, the Toyo's would be fine, but like Mayfair mentioned, I'll sleep better at night with the Goodyears.
BTW, My Doubletree 5'ver has Goodyears on it as well. Might as well keep the set the same.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Bigriver

After alot of shopping around and comparing balancing systems out there, I decided to ship my Weld's up to Ricksons for the installing and balancing of the Goodyears. They made me a trememdous offer on the cost of the tires.....$290.00 opposed to $351.00 each, (by 7 tires I might add) and also cut the costs of the balancing and shipping. All in all, they came in $200.00 less than if I had them send down the steels, and buy the tires locally with a average balance job.

Hopefully in a few weeks or so, I'll have the finished package.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

Hey riv I live about a half hour from Ricksons. I'd be happy to road test them for ya before they ship them. You know, make sure theyre balanced and all.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Az2500Cummins08

ORIGINAL: Bigriver
He did tell me that he installs the Goodyears on ambulances and delivery trucks more often than the Toyo's. This is a good shop, I respect his opinion.
If that is the case, than that means the Goodyear is a more popular tire, and probably for good reason. So if you happen to need another spare, than you are more likely to find another goodyear rather than a Toyo. Plus, Goodyear is American.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Bigriver

Thanks for the offer there Bass Hunter, but I think that I ought to to do the road test myself. I'd hate to see ya make a wrong turn and end up somewhere 80k miles off track.

This has been such a long and time consuming task of deciding and getting these rims and tires.
It kind of alarmed me as to how much I have spent on this truck as of yet. Each and everything thing that has gone into it was slow to accomplish, but when totaled together, was overwhelming.

Because of this new realization, this coming wed., I've got an appointment with the Ravelco rep to install the anti theft device. I see it as a problem with my turbo timer program from the Edge / Attitude. In certain ares, I'll just have to wait till the timer kills the engine before removing the plug.
All in all, I'm improving my safety odds. I'm not bulllet proof, but the armor will be a bit thicker now.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM
RamItOne

glad to hear you're looking at ravelco.

Hey the more money you spend on the truck just means the older the veh you buy your kid, just as long as its not that old toyo you have my first car was an old 1977 300D mercedes, and yall think your diesels put out black smoke, this thing on start up on a cold day could provide a smoke screen for an aircraft carrier.

You'll def want to buy a good quick release keychain so you don't have to hassle with the ravelco each time you take it off.

With the rise in fuel prices I wonder how the theft statistics on larger gas hogs look. Its a damn shame when the economy starts to hurt the black market. Haha.

Quick Reply: Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?