Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?

After months of being on backorder, I now have my Weld's Racing Vellociti 8's, and the Rickson's steel inners are being shipped next week hopefully.

I'm currently trying to decided which tire to go with. It's a toss up between the Toyo or the Goodyear. Both are G rated tires, with diminsions of about 34" tall by 10" wide.

The Toyo is considerably less money than the Goodyear which amounts to a difference of about $600.00 for 7 tires.

Toyo's are Japanese opposed to Goodyears that are made in the US. Want to stay with American made as much as possible.

So what do ya'll think...................

the Toyo's

and the Goodyear's

Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?

whats the mileage listings for them? 100 bucks less a tire isnt much of a savings if one gets 30k and the other 55k.. are you buying the road hazard warranty? i would get that instead of the spare tire, you can run your truck minus 2 tires so you can still make it to the tire shop. Id rather have 6 tires insured than one extra spare....

hey ill be rolling through NO in a week or so, any place thats got good creole food near I10? remember ive got a big ol GMC with a 26ft box so has to be close to the hwy and not in the ghetto......

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Bigriver

Hey RamItOne, These are commercial tires that are expected to get from 80k to 120k miles and I'm told that the Goodyear's have somewhat better wear value. I'm not sure if the dealer gets a better deal for the Toyo's, but I can see that he's trying to persuade me there. He did tell me that he installs the Goodyears on ambulances and delivery trucks more often than the Toyo's. This is a good shop, I respect his opinion. They are going to true the tire, by measureing the diameter and shaving off a thousands of an inch or so to balance out the tire before even mounting them on the rims.
I'm still going to get all seven. The real reason I bought this truck was to tow a heavy 5'ver and I don't want to out on the road without a spare. Not any tire shop can break these 19.5's down. It has to be a commercial truck shop that has the right equipment there to do it. I've had more than one regular tire shop tell me that they cannot work these tires and rims. I've got this much into the truck, might as well finish up without cutting any corners.

As for rolling on thru the area, if you're going from Texas to Florida, you'll be better off taking I-12. It junctions off of I-10 on the east side of Baton Rouge, runs parrallel to I-10, and joins up again with I-10 northeast of New Orleans. That way you bypass all the traffic and crap in New Orleans. Just my suggestion on that. Check it out on a map.
As for the restreaunts near I-12, there are some very good ones near my community a few miles off of I-12. Either Morton's or Friends are on the Tchfuncta River in Madisonville. This area is north of Lake Ponchatrain just before the Covington / Mandeville exit, which will take you to the Causeway Bridge across Lake Ponchatrain to New Orleans. I'm not so sure about the parking issue, but they're good cajun restreaunts.

Are you towing your truck behind the moving truck? Did you ever find a trailer or rental dolly? I don't envy you, having to pick up and move practicly eveything that you own and take it somewhere else.

Back to the tires, I really want the Goodyears and I guess I'm trying to talk myself into them. T
hese are pure highway tires. Even though I have a 4x4 truck, it seldon sees the dirt. That's what my yota is for!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Id say go with the Goodyear's. I see a whole lot more of them around here than Toyo's. Your truck is gonna be even more the MAN with the 19.5's rolling under it . I gotta figure out a way to get those stockers from ya. (logistics).

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Bigriver

Hey Watermelon, does your travels ever take you thru the New Orleans area? I'm taking my family to Washington, DC this summer, not driving the CTD though.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Most of my running is in SC, Georgia and NC and sometimes Florida. I do have a crazy truck driving brother that is on I-10 a good bit from Texas so maybe he can help out. I am located between Atlanta and Charlotte just off of I-85.I am sure we can figure something out when the time comes.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Your truck is gonna be even more the MAN with the 19.5's rolling under it .
Yeah, maybe so, but it was still the #1 looser in last months TOTM contest. [:@]

Old 04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
behindbars

+1 for the Goodyears. It looks like they have a little more aggressive tread. I know you aren't gonna take it offroad but they look like they'd be better in the rain. Can't wait to see it.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I drive International rollbacks for a living and they all have Goodyear tires on them. I have yet to have a tire related issue with any of the trucks. Instead of using steer tires all the way around you may want to consider a dual use tire all the way around it's like a really mild all terrain thats meant to be used on the front and the rear.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Bigriver

Hey Bass Hunter..Thanks for your reccomendation on the Goodyears. These are the G159A's, which are the all position tires.
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160535

Quick Reply: Which 265/70/19.5 tire to go with?