Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Normal Engine Temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:10 PM
ramit03
Default RE: Normal Engine Temps

Ramitone !! i don't care what the others say about...you helping

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:14 PM
RamItOne

lol thanks

Now i dont tow much at all, had a 20ft pontoon but that was only a few miles to the lake, thats why i stuck with the 4.7. but i would rather spend the money on a tranny cooler than a deeper pan, if youre really towing some weight or up hill the deeper pan will slow the heat build up but will still get hot also, that deep pan will keep the heat longer, picture a bathtub full of hot water or a glass full of hot water, what will stay hotter longer? even though it will make it take longer to build up the heat you gotta figure if towing that long *** trailer you aint just going down a few miles, unless youre me and going to the daytona 500 just 90 miles from where ill be, man i think that would be redneck heaven, but youre prolly going cross a few states so it will heat up... and like someone said , think it was big river about keeping your truck in N when you stop and let it run for a bit so the tranny fluid keeps running so it will cool off a lot fast..
basically would you rather have a slightly larger condenser for your ac but no fan or your current one with a fan?

oh and spend the extra and get a good synth like amsoil for your tranny...

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:30 PM
Drew
Professional

BTW, we are not gloplugers. . .we're NO PLUGERS!!!!!

electric fans are good yes, and even though they are rated at such a high CFM for some reason diesels will overheat with the electric fans over the belt driven fan.

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:31 PM
Bigriver

Thanks everyone for these quick replys.

So Drew, its ok then to see the temp advance up from 189 to 196 or so. Just thought that something was amiss with the small rise.

RamItOne, I've thought about a installing aux cooler primarily for the trans. The only logical place to put it was under the bed. I think that Yimmy D. has that set up.

With summer around the corner I wanted to head off any issue before it finds me.

Old 04-24-2008 | 09:52 PM
RamItOne

you can mount them in front if your main rad. It won't restrict airflow.

Hell by summer you may see 5 bucks a gallon and say screw it, just set up the travel trailer in the front yard, get a cooler of beer and turn on the travel channel. Haha.
My move got pushed back by a week. Hope you're around next weekend. It keeps costing me money every week it gets pushed back as diesel keeps going up. Orig I was gonna leave in oct, don't want to know how much its gone up.

As for how much cfm a stock fan clutch is, I wonder if parts has that info in his magical book of knowledge. LOL

Old 04-24-2008 | 10:38 PM
Bigriver

I should be around, but still on the books at work. Actually next Sat, I may be working, but Sun. looks better.

Diesel is around 4.09 in my area, though I lucked out and found a place outside of Baton Rouge that was 3.99. I filled up both tanks and rolled out with 85 gallons.

Good luck on the move, hope to meet up and treat ya to a decent Louisiana lunch.

Old 04-25-2008 | 11:58 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Funny story ...

Last week when I was towing my black trailer off to the campground, MY temp gauge started climbing like a madman. When it went to almost 210, I pulled over and when I went to open the hood, there it was. I had forgotten to take off my winter fronts. I busted out my Rambo knife right there on the Schuylkill Expressway, cut the ties, removed the fronts, and my temps wehn right back down to and stayed at 190.

Oops ...

Quick Reply: Normal Engine Temps