Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 PM
AangryWhiteMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]rootercycles Thanks for the additional info. This is what this site is so good about. Lot's folks seen that, done that,you don't need that, save your monies and time. I'll most likley will have a shop do it for me that will be another $300. Iv'e studied those pics closely and I will definitely ask all those questions that were problomatic during your ordeal. If they improved those issue that you mentioned then that will help significantly during the installation process and time.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

someone out there (EMS maybe) was working on a stubby kit that was going to bring the locker in about 2"... I have a link somewhere if your interested...

Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM
cujo
Captain

Yeah, I've been thinking about it too. Shortens them up 2.4 inches.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:00 PM
rootercycles
Professional

Dynatrac is the one offering the shorter lockouts. Doesn't bother me, I like having them stick out. Makes 'em more obvious to all the guys that don't have 'em!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:06 PM
cujo
Captain

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_stubhub.html#

Looking at it again it looks like only 5 and 6 bolt setups.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

give it time... demand will drive the development.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
cujo
Captain

At the very least I figure when its time to replace those front wheel bearings then I'll have it done, if not sooner.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

likewise... when they go, the freespin kit goes in.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I put the dynatrac freespin kit on my truck about a year ago. Picked up 2mpg but like some other guys said, even though the fuel savings will take a long time to make them pay for themselves that's not really all the benefit. The stock unit bearings and the dynatracs both have 2 bearings in each hub. Difference between the stock and freespin bearings is the factory stacks their two bearings right next to each other whereas in the freespin kits they are properly spaced apart about 2 inches or so (I forget exactly how much the space is off the top of my head). This is important if you run oversized tires on your truck. Dodge does not recommend anything bigger than 285/70/17. The reason for that is with the stock bearings so close together they're sort of like a pivot point putting a lot of pressure onthem causingpremature failure with a wider more massive tire. Another benefit for me anyways is with the freespins that double cardan u-joint off the frontdriveshaft never needs to be greased..Well, as much as I use 4wd it won't anyways.. I could never get grease into that damn thing no matter what I tried... [:@]

As far as "stub hubs" go no-one makes them for our trucks and from talking to dynatracs at least they say they never will. I was told if they made stub hubs you would lose the benefit of having that extra space between the bearings. But there is a way to hack 1 inch off how far they stick out. You can pull the warn locking units out and put some dynalocs in there and lose an inch. http://www.dynatrac.com/products_dynaloc.html They will swap into any brand freespin kit that uses warns. Downside is they cost about $400 for a pair. When I get some cash scraped together I'm gonna upgrade to '08 H2 hummer wheels + dynalocs and everything will be perfectly flush that way. As it is now with the stock wheels andwarns they stick out 2 inches past the face of the hubcap.

Everything bolted right up with Dynatracs the fit and finish was good. The hardest part for me was teardown with everything all seized up sobe sure to use some anti-seize compound when you put all that stuffback together.. I'm not a master mechanic by any stretch of the imaginationbut did it myself in half a day with a little help from my stepdad. It wasn't so difficult there were some decent instructions with the kit and DT cust service is first class if you do run into any problems.

There is also a third company that offers these freespin kits a little bit cheaper than DT but not a whole lot (sorry I forget their name). They do the same as Dyntracs and machine all parts in house. Their's and DT's kits comestandard with 35 spline outer stub shafts. EMS saves money buy using mostly off the shelf components. I think EMS offers 35 spline kits for more money but 28 spline is their standard...

I love the freespins hands down the best mod yet. Another thing rootercycles mentioned these trucks seem to steer better with freespins. It's true they do feel different when you steer it with the freespins. Hard to describe but it almost feels like it turns easier I guess without the resistance of all that stuff turning it makes it that way..

Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
rootercycles
Professional

DiEseLjunKy, where you been?

Quick Reply: Converting 2006 Ram front drive line to manual locking hubs