Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 and 08 emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
captjim1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 and 08 emissions

Well I just got my first engine malfunction light on the new o8 6.7. Goes to the shop in the am. I just got this 08 600 miles ago after turning in the 07 which Dodge bought back as they were unable to fix its emission problems. Looks like more of the same. Hope not cause I really do like the truck.Why dont they just cut out this lousy emission system they got and try something else? If they cant fix this one Im gonna have to go for money back and wait till they get it right.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
sanddragonslayer
Rookie
Default RE: 07 and 08 emissions

sorry to hear man, good luck. i guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:21 AM
JR 06
Professional

Unfortunately its about the only thing that works. Cooled EGR and particulate filters are probably gonna be a permanent thing for diesels now.

I remember a few years back, when the EPA really started to increase the emissions on diesels. CAT thought that they could get around using EGR as nobody really liked it but everyone was going with it. So they came up with the ACERT deal for their engines. This usually involved twin turbos, some computer tuning, and a 5 stage injection cycle. Well, it didn't work and this was on the emissions about 5 years ago. So CAT ended up having to pay a fine for every engine that it built that didn't meet the emissions standards. If you check out their website now you'll see that all of their on highway engines have the cooled EGR systems now.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:28 AM
captjim1

The thing I've noticed on both these trucks I've had is the oil level rises on the dipstick from the safe zone on the stick to the wire on the stick. To me that level should remain in the safe zone.
I dont know if this is normal during breakin or not. Ive always had gas engines and neverhad this. My other truck was turned over at 9000 miles and was beginning to get better milage. I dont really smell fuel or notice the oil being thinned. Ive read some of you guys stating you know when regen is taking place i was wondering how? Any good reading on how this system works? Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
firemedic740
Veteran

I can tell when it goes into regen mode with the edge attitude monitor. It shows regen on when its in that mode. I never had any problem with my dpf, but now its removed and hope to never have a problem again.

Quick Reply: 07 and 08 emissions