Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Triton

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Buford445
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton

I was talking with a friend on mine (costs me 50.00 a month for a friend) abought the power of the CTDs and was wouldering if you done any mods to the internal of the engine or is all the power external add on.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Triton

LOL... I assume you mean paying your IP to have friends to talk too .... LOL, I'm so remote it's the same for me :-)

You can easily build a very fast, big hp truck with external components only. Turbo, modded or dual pumps, injectors and a trans would make 600hp and more easily. Everything can be done with bolt on components but, it may not last too long without other things in place.

I did a lot to the internals just for longevity and stoutness. It's literally built from the ground up. My lower compression helps keep it cooler and helped increase hp a little. My ported head doesn't do a thing for hp but, does allow for better air flow ( very inportant ), ceramic/teflon coated pistons can handle a lot more heat than a stock one can... it goes on and on from there.

Did I answer your question ??? not sure

Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Buford445
Professional

YEA! I know to get HP out of a gasser you need pistons,cam,bored,stroke,ect... you done that stuff for extened life but not for power rite.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
triton
Record Breaker

both. It will do the same thing for a diesel as it would a gasser. 1/10th or even a half a 10th at the track can boil down to each little thing you do. If done right, you can gain from internals but, most of your power is going to come from the external components.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Buford445
Professional

THANKX I have no intention ofadding power as this is dayly driver pluse to pull my 5r for work but being kinda new to CTDs cant belive the power and milage i'm getting and how much youcan get out of them ! Thanks agian

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 AM
triton
Record Breaker

well then, one thing I'd suggest is to get a Smarty. My truck is built the way it is, with a 6" lift on 37's and I average 20 to 22mpg on the highway. This is solely because of the programming.

If you want help with towing, mpg's and some really nice throttle response... a Smarty Jr may be just what you need.

Take a look at their website and read up on it a little.... if you get one... you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner !!

http://www.madselectronics.com/index.html if you decide to get one... let me know, I can help with that.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I will second tritons' suggestion on the Smarty Jr., I have one and believe me its the best add-on I've installed (besides the gauges). It has reduced idle noise, increased hp and mileage. Have also noticed my EGT cool down time has been cut in half! (less idling time before shutting down - a good thing). I only see smoke when I really get into to it.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Buford445
Professional

Great Info love it all. Not going to do much rite away just bought truck want to drive it awhile to see if there is any bugs in it, i had the stealer give me a letter saying that it did'nt have a programer on it at any time, stealer said they couldnt tell if a programer was ever on it. The mech said that there was NO way to tell, I said i thought there was but didnt argue with him, might be able to get away with one hahaha

Quick Reply: Triton