Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Death Wobble and Steering Stabalizers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 PM
SC Willie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble and Steering Stabalizers

Going to install Rough Country Dual Steering Stabalizers on my 2006 Dodge CTD Crew Cab 4x4.
I'm hoping to delete the Death Wobble" that I'm getting. It has a 2" leveling kit on it and 275-70/17's. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM
SpLaT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Death Wobble and Steering Stabalizers

Ah the good ole "DEATH WOBBLE" many things to check...

There has been as many postingsin asmany forums about "death wobble" as there are posters, some have seen it earlier in their truck lives or later in the trucks life, while others have never experienced it.

#1. AAM front axel is poor design to begin with, very little of the weight is supported by the top ball joint, due to offset alignment of the ball joints.

but there are other things to check that will help...
1. shocks, loose or worn out
2. track bar bushings worn out, some last for many miles while other wear out in short time
3. tie rod ends, another poor design
4. weak/worn out steering stablizer
5. tires under inflated.. need 60 to 65psi, wrong load rating factors in as well.
6. worn ball joints see above... OEM balljoints have a teflon/plastic seat/liner which the ball of the ball joint sits in .. it takes very little foriegn matter to destroy the liner, and with little to no real stress on the uppers they seem to wear the quickest
7. wheel alignment... positive castor helps somewhere in the +4.5* area

I would check for worn bushings, tie rods and ball joints first.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble and Steering Stabalizers