Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Smarty is on the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 AM
jeff B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smarty is on the way

The ???? is should I sell my hot juice and A2 or keep it.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 AM
mytowrig
Captain
Default RE: Smarty is on the way

cant hurt to try it. see if you like the stack before you make any decisions. its easier to not want what you have than to want what you don't have...

Old 05-10-2008, 04:08 AM
cumminalong

KEEP IT!!! KEEP IT!!! KEEP IT!!!

I'm running them both right now and love it. You just have to use the even numbers on the Smarty to avoid timing issues with the Edge.

While the Smarty is a great programmer, having the abilty to switch stuff on the fly is awesome. Plus all the gauges, convienience and safety features on the Edge are great!

Click on my signature tosee a video of them stacked. The Smarty is on 6, the Edge is on 5. I don't start getting into it until 1 minute or so in the video.

DEFINITELY KEEP IT!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:21 AM
jeff B

I may have to keep it, I do like the A2 with the gauges and the tomtom, but I would also like to put the money towards a better turbo.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:05 AM
mytowrig
Captain

also, the smarty focuses its power on the low end.. not much there for high end

Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 AM
cumminalong

Another thing is this, without the Edge on there, you'll really have to watch your boost numbers.

I'm glad I have that on there because the Smarty builds boost FAAAAAAAAAAST!

I was pushing 40 psi REAL quick.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 AM
mytowrig
Captain

rich, which program and which setting are you using to spool up so dangerously? i would have thought thr programs made for the stock turbo would take care of that...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: mytowrig

rich, which program and which setting are you using to spool up so dangerously? i would have thought thr programs made for the stock turbo would take care of that...
It's actually not dangerous (i.e. bad on the stock turbo) until you start going over the 45 psi range. I'm sure my intercooler is taking a beating, but that will be rectified soon enough.

The stock programming opens the waste gate at about 26 psi.....you get a lot of surging at this setting because the engine pushes it up to that easily and then the waste gate opens and closes, opens and closes. The reason I can get it upto 40 psiso quickly is the settings that I have the Edge on. I have it set to open the wate gate at 40 psi, but my alarm goes off at 38 psi.

With the Smarty, your options are waste gateSTOCK or waste gate DISABLED. You don't want to DISABLE the waste gate unless you are running an aftermarket turbo, compounds, and / or head studs.

Now, with the Smarty taking over the ECM programming and the Edge being between the ECM and the engine, what happens is the turbo is allowed to spool up to 40 psi, because the ECM never sees that higher number.

It's not that it's bad, it's just fast. What is gonna help with that is the new tranny and TC. Because the TC will grab harder and not allow the engine to spool so fast, it'll slow that down a bit.

It really is a nice combo. You get the down low fueling of the Smarty (which brings the boost up so fast) and the you get the added control of the Edge. I like it.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:42 AM
mytowrig
Captain

good to know!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:29 AM
cumminalong

What I'm messing with right now on it is the lower settings for everyday driving.

With the new Revo programming on the Smarty you have a lot of user adjustable features that really wake the truck up, even on the low numbers.

The way I have the Smarty setup is this. Level 2, rail pressure stock, waste gate stock, Tq Management on 2 of 4 (0 is stock), and top speed limiter set at 120 MPH.

With them stacked and the Edge on 1, it is comparable to the Edge alone on 3.......right in the 70 - 90 HP range.

It's nice having the Edge there, because ifsome little **** head in a Honda decides to play or sit on my tailgate, I just bump it up to 3 or 4 and Powder Puff the snot out of him. So yeah, having the on-the-fly capability is certainly nice.

Right now, I have the Smarty set on 2 and the Edge on 1, just to see what the numbers look like on the overhead Lie-O-Meter. So far, it looks promising, but we'll see when it comes time to fill. I may have to fill up when I leave Florida, after the tranny goes in, and I highly doubt that my mileage is gonna be worth a crap on that tank of fuel.......can't understand why. [:-]

Once I get a little more time with the two of them together, I'll do a better review. But for now, I'm really happy with the output of these two together.

Quick Reply: Smarty is on the way