Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Water pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Aruba1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump leak

I put about 200 miles on the truck today and decided to take a peak under the hood when I got home. There was traces of coolant on the alternator, and some on the air box and some on the lower radiator hose. I got under the truck and there is a water leak on front of the engine [:@]. I am sure its coming from the water pump and it leaks about a drop each second.

Anyone had their W/P giving up on their 2003/2004? How much for the repair at the dealer? Is there a write up somewhere?

Thanks in advance,

Gio

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Water pump leak

you know what. . .look at this instead. . .check the overflow hose and make sure it is tight. I found mine was loose and dripping coolant at an alarming rate onto my BHAF. to solve this I put a zip tie on it and pulled it as tight as I could. havent had a problem since.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Aruba1
Rookie

That was a little loose too but you can see the coolant coming from around the pulley over to the airbox while the overflow hose is dry. At the positive note, autozone sells w/p for about $60.

I am so dissapointed. I am about to weld some fenders on my trailer, weld a 12.5k a-frame bulldog receiver and a pintle mount on my truck to tow my play car over 1000 miles in June and nowI have to worryabout a w/p as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Water pump shouldnt be too hard to change. Drain the coolant, Pull the belt off then a couple off bolts. Pull the pump. Swap the pulley over to the new pump and put back together. There ain't much to these water pumps. I'd probably toss in a new t stat and new coolant while you got everything apart.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:20 AM
12valveman
Professional

as drew said you should do the overflow hose thing first clean everything off and give it a try . hate to say have done a few headgaskets that leak in that right front corner also that waterpump is fairly durable and have rarely put a new one on unless it had alot and a mean alot of miles on it. but clean it and take a look at it.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Aruba1
Rookie

I took the truck by a dodge dealership and they concluded the coolant leak is due to a failing w/p. SO i am putting a new w/p this weekend that I got from autozone ($59.95). Wish me good luck. Will post some pics after its done.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
jakebrake
Champion

If you can, go to a semi truck shop and pic up some red CAT coolant. This stuff is about 6x better then the automotive stuff. Has a lifetime of 300k miles before needing changed

Old 05-16-2008, 12:18 AM
dragonslayer169
Rookie

Hey Aruba,

Replacing the water pump is really easy. I had to replace mine back a couple months ago when I had about 100,000Km on my truck. It was really easy, and took about 2 hours max. As Jake mentioned its just a mater of draining the coolant and then removing a couple bolts. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get pictures as I had to do mine in the middle of the night.

Good luck on the replacement and let us know how it goes.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Aruba1
Rookie
Default RE: Water pump leak/fix

Tried to undo the fan assembly and that f!@# is not moving so I got around it (I not good following direction but good with shortcuts).

Remove the 4 bolts to the fan shroud and folded it
Remove the bolts holding the fan shroud
Remove the top radiator hose
Remove the belt and you willhave good accessto the 2 10mm bolts holding the waterpump (I had to use a 1" extention) and gave it a tab with a 2x4, sucker sucker came off like nada. I had to turn the fan a bit to get the wp out. Turn it the other way a bit to put the new one back in.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Aruba1
Rookie
Default RE: Water pump leak/fix

pic of leak

Quick Reply: Water pump leak