Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Granatelli Motorsports Mileage Miser

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Buford445
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Granatelli Motorsports Mileage Miser

My Mech told me about these I had never heard any of you talk about it, does anyone have any input ? I was leaning towards Smarty jr in the future but wante to here your opinon
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index....m&inmake=0

Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 AM
cumminalong
Default RE: Granatelli Motorsports Mileage Miser

I got yer Mileage Miser right here, Sonny!!!

Seriously though, the only reviews that I've "heard" on it have been like many of the others........buncha Hocus Pocus!

Get yourself a Smarty or an Edge and I think you'd be happier.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Buford445
Professional

LMAO that's great hahahaha

yah I kinda figured that but I told him that I would ask, I had never evan heard of it, I just did a search and found it.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:47 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Buford445

LMAO that's great hahahaha

yah I kinda figured that but I told him that I would ask, I had never evan heard of it, I just did a search and found it.
If you want decent mileage improvements, here's a few things that will do more than that "Miser"....

Exhaust......Keep the Catalytic Converter, but replace the stock muffler. The Cat keeps enough backpressure to keep the low end torque.

Intake......Ditch the stock one

Gauges.....Get, at the least, Boost and Pyro.....Driving by the boost and pyro gauge will get you good results. Keeping the EGT's in the 550 - 650 range while cruising and the boost numbers in the single digits is key.

Advance the timing a bit.....a few degrees of timing, while it makes a bit more rattling (...is that really a bad thing?) will improve your mileage.

The Edge can do several of the functions for you. Specifically gauges and timing. If you go with the Smarty, you'll need seperate gauges, but it gives you more control over the timing.

In my day-today driving, I keep my Edge on 3 and the Smarty on 2. This gets me around 17 - 19 MPG during my normal stuff.

Highway, I set the Edge to 1 and keep the Smarty on 2. This gets me 20 - 21.5 on the highway and that is usually cruising around 70 - 75 MPH. Drop down to 55 - 65 and I'd be looking at the 22 - 24 range.

In town, drive in T/H mode. This locks the TC in 3rd gear and much earlier in 4th gear. While the RPM's spin a bit faster, your EGT's and boost numbers are generally lower. An unlocked TC is just power being turned into heat and that equals wasted mileage.

Again, the biggest factors.........Single digit boost numbers, 550 - 650 on the EGT's and keep the RPM's between 1700 - 2000 while cruising. Any higher than those numbers and you're using excess fuel.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Az2500Cummins08

Any input for the 6.7 guys? I would really love to see better mileage than the HEMI's on highway. It is sad.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 AM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Az2500Cummins08

Any input for the 6.7 guys? I would really love to see better mileage than the HEMI's on highway. It is sad.
Most of the same stuff applies to the 6.7...

The biggest concern for you guys though is to delete the DPF and block off the EGR. Until you do that, you're never gonna get great mileage out of it. But, even then, you guys will still have almost another full liter of displacement.

But, then it becomes non-compliant with the emissions requirements. If you live in a state that doesn't require it, well, then no big deal. But it places that do the emissions check, you're kinda screwed.

Other stuff you can do, and I know this sucks, is get rid of the big tires and the lift. Any extra height creates drag and you expose more of the undercarriage to air flow too, especially the front axle. AT and MT tires look cool, but highway rib tires have less rolling resistance and are more aerodynamic. Plus, those tires are heavy. That stuff adds up.

I'm gonna start keeping my bike in the back of the truck, so if I'm at work and just wanna get some lunch or something semi-close, I'm using that.
Extra crap in the truck (i.e. toolboxes, tools, junk, etc.) get it out of there. If you don't use it all the time, put it in the garage. My winch, toolbox, recovery crap, etc., all sits in the garage unless I'm gonna use it. It's unnecesary weight.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Motorsports Mileage Miser