Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

probably a dumb question but I still want to know why

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probably a dumb question but I still want to know why

ok we all know diesel is the redheaded stepchild of the oils yet they charge more for it.
Why can't yall mix it with gas, 1 part gas 3 parts diesel, put it in a red jug and shake and then pour it in.
Would there be a delay in the explosion since the gas would have to wait for the diesel to blow up?

Just wanted to know why since diesel is 4.40 and gas 3.79.

Its gonna be bad when I can start cutting my gas with mystery oil and additives as their price/volume ration is cheaper than gas.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: probably a dumb question but I still want to know why

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

ok we all know diesel is the redheaded stepchild of the oils yet they charge more for it.
Why can't yall mix it with gas, 1 part gas 3 parts diesel, put it in a red jug and shake and then pour it in.
Would there be a delay in the explosion since the gas would have to wait for the diesel to blow up?

Just wanted to know why since diesel is 4.40 and gas 3.79.

Its gonna be bad when I can start cutting my gas with mystery oil and additives as their price/volume ration is cheaper than gas.
The problem is 1 - gas explodes, 2 - it burns hotter than diesel,3 - it could actully PRE-Ignite during the compression stroke and then all holy carnage ensues and 4 - Diesel is also a lubricant, whereas gas is more solvent.

Think of it like this.....

Diesel is like Black Powder..........Gas is like Cordite.

Black Powder has a slow push...........Codite has fast, violent burn.

It would be like loading a black powder rifle with Cordite.

Not pretty.

You can put diesel in a gasser, it'll just run really crappy. Do it the other way around and you'll have an interesting set of events in front of you.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Az2500Cummins08

When I first picked up my truck, the ******* salesman said to me, "you know that a diesel engine right, it takes diesel fuel, be sure not to put gasoline in there, I did that once, it wasnt pretty." What an *******. I am still bent about that. Pretty much called me a dumbass. God Da*n preppy old man. RRRRRRR![:@]

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
24ssm

where i live at there was one gas station the who ever fill up the tanks put gas in the diesel tank and diesel in the gas tank there was 2 ppl that fil up right after it ahppen and the gas all in the diesel motor was not every pretty it cost almost 7000 dollars in damage to the motor

Old 05-26-2008, 12:37 AM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

thats why i keep all my reciepts to the diesel stations i pump from cause its gonna be there azz not mine if something like that happens.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:46 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put diesel in a gasser, it'll just run really crappy. Do it the other way around and you'll have an interesting set of events in front of you.
My question is when someone puts gas in a diesel truck, the response is usually all they have to dois flush everything out and replace the filter. How come the engine don't explode? Most of the threads I've seen say that the diesel runs for awhile and quits, then it's remembered that , Oh ****, gas was put in the diesel!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Here's a very good reason why it’s important that you keep your receipt for your fuel be it gas or diesel. We had a station in a small town near by that had fuel delivered and come to finds out the tanker driver did not clean out is hose from his last job. The sad part is the hose contained a good amount of animal crap. Needless to say it cost a lot of money to clean up the underground tank, the pumps and lines to the pump and the cars that got the crappy gas. So make sure you save your Receipt as you never know what may have been in the tanker before it delivered fuel to the station you just bought fuel at!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Here's a very good reason why it’s important that you keep your receipt for your fuel be it gas or diesel. We had a station in a small town near by that had fuel delivered and come to finds out the tanker driver did not clean out is hose from his last job. The sad part is the hose contained a good amount of animal crap. Needless to say it cost a lot of money to clean up the underground tank, the pumps and lines to the pump and the cars that got the crappy gas. So make sure you save your Receipt as you never know what may have been in the tanker before it delivered fuel to the station you just bought fuel at!
HA so they literally gave you ****ty gas!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
JR 06
Professional

Actually I've personally seen a diesel truck that ran on gas. It didn't run good mind you, but it was running and nothing was violently exploding or anything. Now granted it wasn't %100 gas, probably more like 75% gas and 25% diesel, but I have seen plenty of trucks come through with gas in them and no major damage occured. Granted these are powerstroke motors, but most I've seen it do is take out an injector or two and the fuel pump. And what we do is pump the all the old stuff out, change the fuel filters and hook up our injector flusher and its good to go, have yet to have a truck come back on me doing this.

Quick Reply: probably a dumb question but I still want to know why