Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC problem in TEXAS HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008 | 11:22 AM
delasem
Default AC problem in TEXAS HELP!!!

Hello guys!

Got a problem with my 05 ram 2500, AC is acting up. Driverside works and blows cold air but thepassanger side is not as cold, I would almost say itfeels worm. Same amount of air comes out of both vents, heat works right. Any thoughts???? please help my passengers are dying of heat in the Texas desert.I have takend the entire dash out and all mechanical actuators seem to be working (no vacuum in this model, has enyone seen this. I hear this is a common problem.
Thanks in advance for all repply's.

Old 07-05-2008 | 12:26 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Default RE: AC problem in TEXAS HELP!!!

Do you have the driver/passenger temp controls or just one temp control?

If you have the dual then I would point to blend doors, which are somewhat of a common issue, you can search here or in the 3rd gen section for blend doors and you will see what I mean. If it is the blend doors it is a PITA to fix as the dash has to come out.

Old 07-05-2008 | 12:31 PM
delasem

One temp control

Old 07-05-2008 | 12:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

With one control that is odd. I am not 100% positive a blend door can cause that issue with one temp control, but outside a blend door I do not know what else it could possibly be given you do have cold air in certain places.

Old 07-05-2008 | 02:45 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Have the system evacuated and leak tested and refilled with proper amount of refrigerant first. IF you already took the dash out and confirmed all the doors are working properly, then my guess is it is just not cooling properly. After all that is confirmed, I have modded my truck to shut off the coolant flow to the heater core, and it make a huge difference in air temps coming out of the registers. If your truck is an auto check the coolant path after the heater core, you may have to do a bypass so the trans cooler still gets coolant. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008 | 02:51 PM
reed
Veteran

Nick,

It would seem that bypassing the heater core might lead to premature failure of the heater core unless you got all of the humidity out? Any thoughts?

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

Have the system evacuated and leak tested and refilled with proper amount of refrigerant first. IF you already took the dash out and confirmed all the doors are working properly, then my guess is it is just not cooling properly. After all that is confirmed, I have modded my truck to shut off the coolant flow to the heater core, and it make a huge difference in air temps coming out of the registers. If your truck is an auto check the coolant path after the heater core, you may have to do a bypass so the trans cooler still gets coolant. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2008 | 03:35 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Nah, cars and trucks have had coolant shut off valves from the factory for years. Plus I turn mine back on every week or so for a while to circulate fresh stuff through the system. As long as you have good quality coolant at the proper ratio I don't beleive it will cause any harm. If you were running straight water or weak / old coolant then corrosion may be an issue.

Old 07-05-2008 | 11:40 PM
delasem

Nick thanks for the repply I also have the MOD done to my truck but still a big difference of temperature on the vents...something weird is going on. Do you know witch electroacruator may be causing the issue. Does anyone know where i can get the diagrams for the A/C system??? thanks.

Old 07-06-2008 | 09:56 AM
QUACKSTACKER
Professional

i have taken my 04 to the shop many times for this issue and they keep telling me it is normal.

please let me know what you find out.

Old 07-06-2008 | 02:54 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Delasem, I haven't had to dig intot he dash and ducts on my truck, so I really can't help there. There is a thread on this forum somewhere that will take you to another site where you can download the shop manual for our trucks. It is a huge file but worthwhile in my opinion. Theh thread is titled something like "merry christmas".

Quick Reply: AC problem in TEXAS HELP!!!