Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New owner old questions on airfilter/programmers

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all, mods = voided warranty. That said if you are modding for fuel economy you will likely not see a reasonable return on investment. I got a quadzilla xzt that claimed up to 4mpg improvement. My actual improvement was less than 1 mpg. The '06 has a 4" exhaust already, I believe that unless you are pushing major HP a 5" is overkill. The only programmer I would consider is the Smarty, and unless you plan on modding your clutch I would stick with the Jr. Be careful with intakes, better flow usually comes at the expense of filtration, but if you are going to add power you will need something to improve air flow in. I can pull the filter minder about half way down with a brand new filter and my XZT (65hp) on. I don't mean to be negative, but you should hear both sides before you spend your hard earned money. Read the sticky above about mods and your warranty. It was posted by a Dodge service manager who knows his stuff.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Quig19
Rookie

If you look at how all the programmers connect to the truck I think (I haven't done alot of research yet so don't jump down my throat) Banks is the only one that plug into the engine and ecm not just into the OBDII. To me the ones plugging into the ecm are only modifying the inputs from the computer, Banks is actually changing them, for the money I would go with the banks six gun and buy the PDA @ best buy...

Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 AM
06diesel6spd

The guy that had the banks had that setup with the pda on his dash and stated that if the truck needs service etc. he just unplugs it and leaves it out of the truck because like you stated it is hooked to the ecm not the obd. and he stated that because of this there is no danger of messing up the factory programs. That said, I was also looking at the PPE Xcelerator anyone seen or use this one? Also the guy with the dually has an AFE stage 2 with banks high ram and says that the Dodge dealer doesn't blink and eye at the truck and or has not voided his warranty. but he also removes the banks six gun. just trying to make my truck efficient. Would it be beneficial to remove the muffler and gut the cat? would that be as good as getting an aftermarket exhaust or does the factory one have the same bends etc. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:32 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 06diesel6spd
Okay, AFE stage 2 is going on and 5" exhaust without muffler, ran into a guy that has a dually with the 5" exhaust and gutted cat, truck sounded good and was not loud or annoying etc. one item he had was a banks high ram and banks six gun and said that banks was the only intake and programmer to use. Anyone else feel this way as i see there is a ats intake setup and many programmers, I asked him about the extra expense of the banks and he stated there the best and you get what you pay for? Not trying to beat a dead horse but just want to make one purchase one time. : )

Thanks Mike
be prepared for the loss in low end torque for everyday driving... 5" is to big for daily driving W/O a load.

I have the ATS intake and love it... saw approx .5 mpg increase with it (see the thread linked in my sig for data) bumps the lowend pretty good, noticeable in my commute of 80+ miles & 2500' climb to work everyday.

Quick Reply: New owner old questions on airfilter/programmers