Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ran out of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
oiler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of fuel

Today I was at Wal Mart and when I went in i noticed an old man trying to get his diesel started out in the parking lot. When I came out 20 min later he was still trying so I thought I would try to help him. It was a 24 valve about a 2000 or 2001. He said it ran out of fuel and he had put 8 gal. in it but it still would not start. Well I cracked open the banjo fitting on the fuel pump side to bleed the air, but the fuel would never come. 2 hours trying but no fuel. I can here the pump come on, but 30 sec later it would quit running. He could'ent afford a tow so he was gonna leave it. I told him i would swing by to check on him maybe with more help. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM
jayleonard

My guess is that his lift pump is dead. Very common issue.
AND... sometimes when the lift pump dies it takes out the injection pump.
For his sake I hope it's only the lift pump.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
oakleys

Might try the fuel filter, just in case something plugged it up. Just take it out if you have to, but if you are not getting fuel at the banjo bolt on the injector pump, it is a lift pump problem.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
oiler
Professional

I drove by there this morning and it looked like the truck was facing the other way. He said he may try to pull it home. I advised him not to try with the automatic tranny. He may have tried but gave up. I was afraid it may be a pump issue but was'nt sure. His son owns a resturant in town, I'll tell him what to look for. Thanks for the insight.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
408Ram
Rookie

I have to say you are a great person to stop and help and then take the time to go back to help... That is GREAT. My hat is off to you and anyone else that goes through the trouble to help expecting nothing in return

Quick Reply: Ran out of fuel