Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie - Intro and 2 Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 AM
magohn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Intro and 2 Questions.

Hello All,
Brand new Dodge Ram 2500 owner here. We just bought an 2008 with a Cummins 6.7L and mega cab. We got the whole setup for 37K plus tax. Im very excited about this truck - sure is a powerhouse - my first truck
Anyhow, we did not get the factory GPS as I already have a Garmin Nuvi 200. Trouble is there is no place to hang the unit. Are there any DIY brackets to mount the unit?
Another question, we need a brake controller fitted for our travel trailer. What is the smallest unit available that is not going to crack my knees everytime I climb in the cab? In - dash possible?
Final question, what can I expect for MPG from the engine? I was told its possible to hit 20mpg when run in - is this true?
Thanks all - looking forward to learning...John

Old 10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I have the reese brake controller in mine mounted down low next to the steering column on the left it doesn't hit my knee and is easy to get to. My Garmin is mounted to my windshield with the suction cup if you don't like the wire hanging garmin supplies a 3m adhesive disk to mount it to the top of the dash. If you no longer have the disk I believe you can buy them at best buy in the gps accesory section. The older 5.9 diesels would see 20 miles to the gallon. I think 16 is more reasonable in the newer trucks. Do not change your oil to synthetic until you have atlest 25,000 miles on the truck. They have a little of a lenghty break in period. You have to drive these trucks hard and use them for towing and hauling to keep them happy especially in yours with the dpf. Congrats and welcome.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I would 2nd Bass Hunters opinions, I have a Husky brake controller and have it mounted on the "knee" board to the right of the steering wheel, works well for me. If possible you should load your truck up with your travel trailer and put as many miles on it as possible... best break-in process (the CTD is made for working hard). Like Bass Hunter said wait till you have 25-30k miles on it before switching to synthetic oil. Change your fuel filter every 10k miles, I have a GDP 2 micron fuel filter kit on mine for extra filtering of the fuel. I also have a oil bypass filter as well. Check with your service manager at the dealership you bought from about adding the extra fuel/oil filters see if they have a problem with additions concerning the warranty. Happy dieselling.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM
magohn

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I will go with your recommendations of installing the break down near the steering wheel column. I'm averaging 15mpg right now - which I am happy with for a rig of this size.
Thanks again, John

Quick Reply: Newbie - Intro and 2 Questions.