Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Death Wobble

Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
3500POWERWAGON
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God Ram It, my reply is to you its going to be different in everybodys case, i have see it in the track bar, to the steering linkage (new style on back order till july 09) and the ball joints. but not leaving out the steering box ,,, so its up to you,,,do you want a safe truck to drive or to white knockel it all over town. but just to let you know, my truck was new when i did my lift @ 7k miles, and the problem was worse the higher the lift,, started with a 3 inch lift and now have custom lift i put on, 5 inch on the front and 4 on the rear, just the right height, all bugs worked out, tracks strait, @ 80mph no pull or drift on flat even road. so if your asking where the first 300-400 dollors,,, i would spend it at your steering stabilizer shocks, dont skimp on them ,,,, 33 dollar shocks made for your grandmothers car are just that junk. look for high pressure shocks made by bilstein,,, no disapointments there.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

2005 2500... tre's shot, steering box loose, tracbar (thurenfab) good, 325-60-18's and control arm bushings very loose... no DW. why? caster... and plenty of it. > 5.0 on both sides.

my last truck had the dw when I 1st got it. research pointed to caster in the alignment. got it done, never had it again. had 2 tracbars go bad on that truck, and at the same time the CAB's were also shot. swapped in some energy suspension ones and it locked down the front end nicely...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SpLaT
drum roll................. and the 300-400 bucks fix is?
DW can be caused by a few things. most times its the trac bar.
the steering brace doesnt cure death wobble. It may hide it a little but it doesnt "fix" it

the steering shocks do not fix it either. Technically a steering shock isnt needed. I drove my 98 on 37" tires without a steering shock daily without one.

If you have death wobble then there is something wrong with your steering or steering geometry.

I have also seen out of round oversized tires cause it.

so to just blurt out what the fix is wouldnt be worthwhile for me. hell it could be the all of the steering system. I would have to look at it.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:28 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 3500POWERWAGON
God Ram It, my reply is to you its going to be different in everybodys case, i have see it in the track bar, to the steering linkage (new style on back order till july 09) and the ball joints. but not leaving out the steering box ,,, so its up to you,,,do you want a safe truck to drive or to white knockel it all over town. but just to let you know, my truck was new when i did my lift @ 7k miles, and the problem was worse the higher the lift,, started with a 3 inch lift and now have custom lift i put on, 5 inch on the front and 4 on the rear, just the right height, all bugs worked out, tracks strait, @ 80mph no pull or drift on flat even road. so if your asking where the first 300-400 dollors,,, i would spend it at your steering stabilizer shocks, dont skimp on them ,,,, 33 dollar shocks made for your grandmothers car are just that junk. look for high pressure shocks made by bilstein,,, no disapointments there.
oh boy where to start.

the higher you go the more likely you are to get death wobble. you are pushing limits of the steering geometry.
as I stated before a vehicle can be driven safely with out steering stabilizer shocks. so to use them as a fix is a bandaid for death wobble. they may "fix" it but it is temporary as the shock will where out quicker because of the death wobble still going on that the driver doesnt or barely feels. So again. not a fix
Death wobble will be different in everyones case but why through a bunch of usless parts at the truck when they dont solve my problem? you could have spent all of that money and still not have fixed your issue.

I had death wobble and it was a fawker figuring it out. In the end It was the bushings in my control arms.
if your steering isnt set up correctly that can cause it too as most alignment shops dont mess with the cam bolt on the axle.

the first 300-400 you decided to spend would be an expensive bandaid.

i am not trying to be rude, just stating fact. I never said anything about safety in my first post. But I wouldnt ever think of fixing a truck unsafely. and in more than 80% of the vehicles with death wobble I could fix it for 300-400 or less. safely

But, If I had an excess of money I would spend it on anything that would beef up my steering. but I dont so I try and fix whats broke

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
2005 2500... tre's shot, steering box loose, tracbar (thurenfab) good, 325-60-18's and control arm bushings very loose... no DW. why? caster... and plenty of it. > 5.0 on both sides.

my last truck had the dw when I 1st got it. research pointed to caster in the alignment. got it done, never had it again. had 2 tracbars go bad on that truck, and at the same time the CAB's were also shot. swapped in some energy suspension ones and it locked down the front end nicely...

yes I was going to get to that but you beat me to it.

good post!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Atcoast
Default Not a fix

I have spent over 3500 bones on a whole new front end with new shocks and the SBS crap for my 06 dodge ram 2500 4 inch lift with 22 inch rims. the problem is that I bought the truck all set up from dodge with A/t tires...after the tires were worn and i had new S/T put on...i started getting the death wobble at 70mph. A 4x4 mechanic / alignment tech and I figured out what the problem is...when dodge set up this truck they set the caster in the alignment up correctly for the lift...when i had the new tires put on...the new tire shop set the alignment back to stock which is between 2 and 5 deg caster. Now tomorrow i am taking it to a shop that knows exactly what the problem is. My note to death wobble dodge owners...its not your front end.. its not your tires...its not your shocks...and dont waste your money on a SBS because that wont do squat for you...it is the alignment. take it to a 4x4 shop that knows what there doing. if you have a lift kit have them check the caster... I will bet that its between 2 and 5 deg which is for stock dodge trucks. have them keep adjusting it until the wobble is gone.

Originally Posted by 3500POWERWAGON
I have the fix for death wobble!,,, i too have been down the road with this same problem. I have a 2007 3500 4x4 dodge ram, after i put a lift on it ,,,, i had the famous death wobble, first i looked at was tires, the tires must be 10 ply.... e load range, with good tread. second is make sure your steering box is tight. third is replace the steering linkage ( tie rods, steering bar ) new larger size from dodge, looks like it was taken from the 4500 series truck. good news for 2500 owners, after installing these parts i installed a new track bar from DSS, and also installed there DSS steering box stabizer that mounts between the frame rails on the sway bar mount. fourth i installed a after-market twin shock stabilizer , ( used bilstien 7100 shocks ) this was the 360/ 80 shock pressure,,, you can use the 280/78 pressure if you run 35" tires ,,,what a big difference from basic shocks to these WOW...oh it makes your steering easyer to steer with larger size tires, i know its alot to do but i now have the local dealership installing these as i have done all the work changing out parts looking for one that works,,, oh there is a new steering box out too. just ask about the updated steering linkages... they will have to do some digging to find these numbers,,, i will try to get these as i work close to dealership. ya i have had to buy all my parts,, no i'm not rich, i just wanted a truck safe for my wife to drive when im tired of driving. hope this can help any body,, steering linkage from wheel to wheel is about 300.00, DSS adjustable track bar 350.00, DSS steering stabilizer 250.00 bilstien 7100 shocks rebuildable 400.00 shipped , steering stabilizer mount 99.00, .... i have changed all parts myself in the driveway, center the axel using a plumb-bob off each fender, to center the axel, you will be suprized to see there off from dodge about 1/8"--3/4" from the factory,, qualtity control? just kidding i love my truck will post picks or drop me a line and i'll e-mail you with them.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

you can only go so far before putting too much stress on the pinion bearing...

mine is set @ 5.2 & 5.7... never had the DW even with the front end shot... loose ball joints, TRE's, drag link... you name it, it was loose. now the front end is almost as tough as a tank... the only weak link right now could be the lower ball joints. did the moogs back in may, before carli released their lowers argh! hopefully it'll be a while before it needs to be done again.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM
SpLaT
Captain

6" of lift 35x13.5x20 wheels/tires, have the "steering brace" and "adjustable" track bar. Just recently replaced the heim joint on the track bar, had been out working the oil/gas fields and on some pretty rough roads. With the heim joint worn out and banging away, I never experienced any death wobble off road or on road. My castor is set just over +5.
The only time I ever experienced DW was when ruck was at stock height and was wearing BFG A/Ts, and the castor was at factory specs... well below 5 degrees!

steve... waiting for carli to release the lowers... then I'm gonna buy a set and have them on hand, so when the OEMs drop out, which should be soon... (already have uppers in my tool box) 85k miles on second set of OEMs!

Last edited by SpLaT; 08-20-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

carli's are on their website...

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...alljoints.html

if you get pricing can you post it back here?...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

carli's are on their website...

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...alljoints.html

if you get pricing can you post it back here?...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Death Wobble