Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How much power can the stock tranny hold? (06 auto 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:36 PM
tn_diesel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power can the stock tranny hold? (06 auto 4x4)

Ok so Im about to reprogram my 06 cummins and i obviously want the most power i can get, but i dont want to have to rebuild my tranny and upgrade my turbo and stuff. I really like the edge juice with attitude as its adjustable on the fly, shows all the stats of the engine, and has a built in turbo timer. I've heard that any more than 100hp added and ill need to upgrade my tranny. I will be taking this truck to the strip occasionally just for fun with the guys. So any recommendations or suggestions? Thank you

Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

My stocker lasted ~9 months with Smarty turned all the way; level 9 all the time! 427 at the tires. Edge would be closer to 370-380 or so. And I wasnt what one would call "easy" on it either. It finally started slipping, then slipping BAD when I got on it, and finally the convertor exploded and, thus my built unit.

In all honesty, Id at the very minimum upgrade the convertor. Even better would be convertor/valvebody...you dont HAVE to have a built trans, just those two upgrades will handle more power alot better than the stock stuff will...

Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
tn_diesel

what if i had a built tranny but stock vb and converter? or would it be better to leave tranny alone and do what you said?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I would do what Scat suggested first. The stock tc is only really good for a stock to lightly modified truck and the upgraded valve body is going to increase your line pressure for grater holding force.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
tn_diesel

so what if i wanted to just tune the edge juice with attitude to level 5, what should i do first?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

I run mine on level five with 30,000 miles on the stock tranny while doing it. I just try to go easy on it. When it goes, and it will , I am willing to spend the money on a new tranny. I tow trailers with it and I always turn it down to level 2 when I do that. The power is addictive once you start down this road you will always want more.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
tn_diesel

well i dont tow anything, i just bought a diesel cause i love diesels and the power and economy for a truck...what if i just did the torque converter for now and ran it on level 5 how much help would that do?

Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

it will help you can do it in stages but you may get a brake on labor doing both at once. the tc is 1-1200$ vb is in the 5-600 range.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 PM
moconst
Veteran

I love my edge, but I dont romp on it much.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:27 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by tn_diesel
what if i had a built tranny but stock vb and converter? or would it be better to leave tranny alone and do what you said?
Think of the transmission like a woman. The trans itself is her body/looks, and the valvebody/convertor are her brains...

Ok, so you have a girl, smokin body, but no brains (built trans w/ stock VB/TC). Shes only fun for awhile then she gets old. Plus shes just gonna cost you money in the long run.

Then you have a good lookin girl, not as hot, but a looker, but she has brains (comparable to a stock trans w/ upgraded TC/VB). Now shes gonna be fun longer, cause she can think of new exciting positions. You can afford her more than a Grade A woman.

Now take a smokin hot girl, WITH brains, and you have the best of both worlds (built trans w/ upgraded TC/VB) You might not be able to afford her, but its oh-so-much better if you can.

Help any? And yes, its a reach, but I tried! Hahaha

Quick Reply: How much power can the stock tranny hold? (06 auto 4x4)