Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

chevy guy lookin for advice on dodge auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Hoyt572
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chevy guy lookin for advice on dodge auto trans

I'm a chevy guy but i'm looking into getting a dodge with a cummins in it, my question is i'm thinging about getting the automatic trans, is this a bed idea any input would be nice all i've ever heard about the dodge autos is horror stories. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:15 AM
st2pd

what year are you looking at? The 03 and up transmissions have been pretty good, and the 68rfe behind the 6.7s have been reliable as well. Our tranny tech has gone from always having a few trucks waiting for an overhaul to doing maybe one every three weeks or so. Dodge has really improved the transmissions across the board. Even the front drive trannys are reliable now-our front drive tranny guy works on one a month maybe. The front drive trannys used to come in at a rate of three a day, now only one or two a month. It has been a long time but it seems that they have figured out the problems and are now offering a good trans although it may be too late. The new truck trannys are so strong that the manual trans equipped trucks are the ones that are detuned. Its too bad that they let the trans in previous vehicles get so bad that it destroyed the reputation of the new stuff. Although they are stronger now, do not disregard the fluid and filter changes. The newer the better, 01 and previous trucks will have some issues espessially if modified.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
SpLaT
Captain

as stated above, trannys are alot better, but what are your plans with the truck? lots of pulling, heavy hauling, empty daily driving or perhaps getting on the skinny pedal doing boosted launches or " racing ricers to show em whos got a bigger wallet" ? abusing these trucks will bite ya in the butt....just like any other desel truck.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Exactly. Whats the truck going to be used for? What mods are gonna be done, and how much power you lookin at making? And what years are you looking at?

The newer 48res are actually pretty good. Much better than the earlier 47re and rh, and earlier trans. The majority of the upgraded parts inside the 48re can be swapped into the earlier units. Its not a complete conversion, but better than they came stock.

The worst part about the transmissions in these trucks is the torque convertor. Its week and actually balloons. And slips, creating heat and cooking it.

The minimum a person should do is upgrade the convertor; better yet the convertor
and valvebody...

Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Hoyt572

Originally Posted by SpLaT
as stated above, trannys are alot better, but what are your plans with the truck? lots of pulling, heavy hauling, empty daily driving or perhaps getting on the skinny pedal doing boosted launches or " racing ricers to show em whos got a bigger wallet" ? abusing these trucks will bite ya in the butt....just like any other desel truck.
I'm lookin for a daily driver, i like lifted trucks not too big maybe 35", a programer and exauhst. The biggest problem is i want to put a snowplow on it. I don't plow all the time but i like havin when i need it. Thanks for all the insight.

Quick Reply: chevy guy lookin for advice on dodge auto trans