Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Vibration when pressing the gas and at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Jesse James
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when pressing the gas and at speed

I have a 2005 Ram 2500 5.9L, it is a 4speed auto, at 30 mph I hear more then feel a vibration in the dash of the truck, then as I go faster I can feel it in the Pedal and the steering wheel, It stays constant when I am at speed (65) or which ever speed I am at, if I let off the gas the vibration goes away, If I am stopped at idle no vibration and then if I rev it up in N still no vibration, It is only when I am over 35 mph and giving it gas, does any one have any Ideas?

65,800 miles on it , and I am taking it in at 66,000, just wondering if anyone has or had the same issue?

New tires, checked balance and psi, the brakes are good, let mem know thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

possibly something loose in dash. but since it only does it when the truck is moving I would say out of balance tires or possibly worn suspension components.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
joey7106

I agree with bass hunter. Its you tires! I would rebalance and take it from there.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 AM
st2pd

It may be a rear driveshaft u-joint siezing up. I would remove the driveshaft and check the joints for any binding. It is more common to get the vibration while letting off the throttle but it can go both ways. It is easy to check and if a u-joint is bad it is covered under the powertrain warranty. We replace them all the time for similar problems-most are covered under the powertrain warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Charms

yeah he said he got the tires checked so my guess would be driveshaft somewhere, specially if it does it when just giving it gas, as unbalanced tires would vibrate anytime the tires are rolling fast enough and gradually get worse as you go faster...

check your drivetrain bud...

Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Jesse James
Default Drive shaft

I will check the drive shaft, thanks for the help, I am new to this forum and I like it alreadt i am in alot of weapon forums and I should have found this one a long time ago. thanks for the help keep it coming and I'll keep you up dated on any of my findings.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Pullin'
Default U-Joints

I had the same problem. If I put it in nuetral the vibratin would stop.
It was the U-joints on the drive shaft. After 84,000 miles two of the three were toast. I had them replaced Thursday and the vibration is gone.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 PM
twk6620

More than likely a u joint. tires should do the same at speed in neutral. If engine is juiced torque convertor can do the same. It's a balanced component but additional torque and HP can cause a problem.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Jesse James
Default thanks

thanks to all, it was the rear u-joint and it is fixed and running smooth again, thanks to all

Quick Reply: Vibration when pressing the gas and at speed