Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Charms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to the right

I got a 4 wheel alignment done and I watched him do it also and it good. But it still pulled to the right. I re-adjusted the rear brakes thinking maybe it was catching a little but its not. The alignment showed that the truck was square, as in it was never wrecked and the distance diagonally across from wheel to wheel was perfectly square.

Any idea's? It really bugs the crap outa me when I gotta constantly hold it to the left when driving.

oh, almost forgot to mention that the first thing I tried, before the alignment, was to rotate tires to see if maybe one was bad but it still pulled to the right so its not the tires.

I ran out of idea's so if anybody has anything else for me to try that I am not thinking of let me know, please.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM
SpLaT
Captain

seems its a common problem with the 4x4s, I had same issue after getting a second alignment right after the first (went to dealer for second one ) they got it close still pulled but not as bad. I then checked air pressure, a little lower on right front then left side, also checked rears as a low rear right will also cause it to pull right. After airing all tires equal got more improvement. Lastly, I rotated tires... and now she steers straight!
I see you did the rotation, hows the air pressure at each corner?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Charms

The air pressure is exact in all 4 tires. I own a tire shop and I checked that as I did the rotation. It is not anything to do with tires lol

I changed the alignment just a hair myself now, i turned that little coupler thing one full turn and now it drives striaght when I hold the steering wheel straight but when I let go it pulls to the right and the steering wheel actually turns to the right a bit, so there is something that is causing drag on the right side I just can't figure out what. I keep messing with the rear brakes as I have been having trouble getting them adjusted right. Which brings me to another question, how do you properly adjust the parking brakes? I am turning that little star wheel inside the hub but I don't know how far to go. Is there a method to it? like turn it till it tightens up completely then back off a few turns?

Anyways, something is causing drag on the right side, and I'm thinking its brakes but It's not the rear ones, as I don't think it would cause it to pull to the side so much as it does. I think its front ones but the thing is the right side wheel in front almost feels like it turns easier then the left one in front when I have it jacked up...

I am so lost I don't know what else to check...

It couldn't be some bearings could it? Cuz you would notice that when you turn the tire by hand right? I think I am going to take it back to my uncle(he owns a tire shop also, but he has the alignment machine) and let his mechanic try to figure it out cuz I am just about ready to give up and its driving me crazy...

Last edited by Charms; 12-23-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Big_B
Rookie

Umm just an idea, but maybe the crown in the road?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Charms

That is an idea...

BUT

it does it everywhere, even on a perfectly flat surface...

I will take it back to the mechanic and have him do it again.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Big_B
Rookie

Well that was my great idea for the year.. thank god I only have 2 more weeks and then another whole year to come up with a new one. Heres a lame idea, but maybe your steering stabilizer is the problem?

Old 12-24-2008, 05:56 PM
cumminnotstrokin2

check the bushings in the lower links that attatch to the front axle. I had that problem with my 95 1500 4x4

Last edited by cumminnotstrokin2; 12-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 AM
moconst
Veteran

you own a tire shop?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Charms

me and my dad do...

i was told it could be my tires, that these bfg's have a habit of doing this. i also mentioned that maybe it was a bushing or something he said that the alignment machine would have caught that if that were the case.

so maybe i will try different tires before i do anything else.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:32 AM
stupid_rope
Rookie

Originally Posted by Big_B
Umm just an idea, but maybe the crown in the road?
hahaha

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right