Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

K&N Filter in a 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
CHK_ENG_LGHT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N Filter in a 6.7?

Any 6.7 owners have the k&n filter element in their trucks? I put one on mine 3 wks ago and want to know if it was a good idea to do it? Would it affect anything since these engines have been so delicate on everything? So far, mine's been feeling a little bit smoother, but no difference in fuel mileage. What's your opinions? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have not tried a K&N on my 6.7L. The consensus around here is that the oil from the filter element can cause trouble for the airflow sensor.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
ejherrmann

Installed a K&N and removed silencing baffle approx 10k miles ago, everything runs like a champ. No residue around turbo. Run drews brew as well, so far haven't required turbo or DPF service. Whenever truck is used we are usually pulling 16k so it get used hard. Been forced to use 500ppm a few times, engine actually runs smoother but it makes me worry the whole time until I run a few tanks of 15ppm. Sure like to get better than 17 mpg empty/11mpg pulling, but I've heard we'll see better numbers after we get more than 25k on engine.

My 2 cents

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Ill just say this...I guarantee if you need to go to the dealer to get the turbo cleaned or anything regarding the emissions, youll be forking the cash over instead of it being covered under warranty. Theyll claim the oil from the filter caused issues...try it and tell me if Im making it up.

Ive also seen damage to a turbo apparently caused by excessive oiling. I wont run anything but a dry filter on my truck

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
terb

The crankcase vent runs from the valve cover and into the intake tubing right in front of the turbo. Do you think it may suck some oil from the valve cover right into the turbo from there?? I do!!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
CHK_ENG_LGHT
Amateur

Before I installed it, I contacted my dealer and said that it was ok to put the k&n in it. My service advisor even looked at it personally and said it shouldn't be a problem. He said just in case of something, then to remove it and put the stock one back on. Since K&N says and promises that it won't void manufacturer's warranty, I will sue them if they dont do anything just in case something does happen to my truck and the dealer won't cover any damages. But thanks anyways to all of you for your opinions and info's.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I have been running a AFE proguard 7 stage 2 "oiled" air filter for 3 years and over 168k miles. Truck runs through rain, snow, dirt roads (80%) and hiway. I have 3 filters I rotate, install fresh cleaned/oiled filter when needed and start cleaning process on the used filter.
I have done the "white glove" thing and find nothing in the intake tube. Have pulled the intake tube off and the turbo looks the same as it did new.

I will say this though, unless you have modified your engine ie: programmer/chip, injectors, fuel pump mods, exhaust and anything else, you may see some difference in performance. But on a stock truck/engine the OEM filter and filter box/intake tube will and does just as good as any aftermarket filter or CAI system, one of the few things DC engineers did right!

If you are running a stock truck use the OEM filter, save a few bucks and have peace of mid for any warranty work.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 PM
chris1970

the dealer near me has a sign posted outside the service shop "any aftermarket air filters k&n etc. will void factory warranty"

Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 PM
bajzashop

I would take that k&n out. I had one in my old 5.9L and it raised my silicone levels in my oil sampling through the roof. I then changed to the afe and the silicone levels went down to stock filter levels. Sell it on ebay or return it if you can. Just my opinion.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
st2pd

I don't see any problems with using a k&n or other decent intake kit as long as you make sure it does not get restricted. I see a LOT of these filters that are almost totally collapsed because they are dirty. These engines move a TON of air and will contaminate a filter pretty quickly if driven in a dusty environment. One of the big problems with the DPF systems is the lack of air filter attention. If you have a pre dpf truck you will notice more black smoke when your air filter is restricted. With the dpf, the soot gets collected resulting in more needed regenerations and with more regens, more ash gets collected. You can't burn out the ash and once it builds to a certain point you have to replace the dpf-$$$. Also, no show should ever say your warranty is void untill they can prove that the filter caused the problem.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter in a 6.7?