Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

dodge vs chevy and ford

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
dave29989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge vs chevy and ford

went truck shopping today all i have ever owned is dodge but i went to chevy and ford and the specs on their diesel engines are pretty much the same as the new 6.7 cummins what is everones feed back on other diesels i wont buy another truck but dodge but i was surprised to hear the specs on the other brands

Last edited by dave29989; 02-08-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 AM
'04 Cummins

I would stay away from Ford. The 6.0 liter diesel they had from '03 till '07 was not very reliable and the 6.4 liter since '08 is basicly the same plus all the emmision junk (and an extra turbo). I Haven't heard much on the 6.4, besides not very good fuel mileage.

I have several buddies with GM trucks and the Duramx diesel matched to an Alison tranny is a very smooth quick setup indeed. They even seem to be fairly reliable.

Bottom line....... I think any new truck will tow or haul just as much as the next. It just comes down to personal preference. I perfere dodge!!

Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

Ditto what '04 says about the Ford. Frankly, I'm as much a GM fan as I am a Mopar fanatic, but when it comes to heavy-duty diesel trucks I prefer Dodge.

What I like about Dodge: Solid-front axle and heavier duty design of the I-6 Cummins motor. Recommended over Ford & Chevy by my local diesel mechanics (I queried two shops).

What I don't like about GM: Independent Front suspension and potential for problems from towing and/or off-roading. More complicated design of the V-8 diesel design.

I will be purchasing either a Mega Cab or the new Crew Cab heavy duty due out in the fall.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
BrokenE

Yup, what they ^^^^ said about the reliability on the Ford. They sure do look substantial though, and probably have the best looking interiors. But another turn-off for me was how complicated the V8 looked to work on. This was important to me since I do most of my maintenance and want to keep the truck for a long time.

The chevy also has the V8 of course. What I did not like about it was that IFS and the aluminum heads. The chevy probably has the best transmission, although I heard the new 6speed in the dodge compares very well to the allison.

Last thing that was the clincher for me was that, according to a buddy he claimed to know several people who had bought durmaxes and then complained that the drive train did not do well when pulling heavy loads. He mentioned 3 such guys.

Well that last part might be folk story but based on what's written above and the fact that the cummins (5.9) had been around forever, I choose the Dodge and have been very happy with it. And there should be no reason to doubt that the 6.7 is as good as the 5.9.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

The Cummins appears to be a very good engine, especially for towing. Their TQ is maxed out at the 1500 rpm range where as the PSD is @ 2000. Stock they are pretty close, however the ford appears to have a slightly more durable transmission, but it is a 5speed unless you are looking for a manual (which is 6 speed). MPG seems to be for them around 12.5city/17hwy stock. I have done alot of research because I am considering a new diesel as well. I am looking to start to compare the differences between dodge and Ford, due to the fact that I don't like the new chevy's. Remember that the Chevy's are not emission ready for next year as well. I believe that the RAM 2500's are going to be IFS in 09 and the 3500 will cost substantially more than the 2500's. I have talked to alot of people in the ford world and the 6.4 appears to be a very reliable engine... much more so than the 6.0's. In fact many of the Ford people are upset that they will be switching to a 6.7 in 2010 (ford/international/navistar got into a fight and are not going to be working with each other in the soon future) as the 2010 6.7 is going to be an in-house Ford Diesel. They will be switching to a 6speed automatic transmission as well and the new engine should get 3mpg more than the current 6.4, however they will be using aluminum heads instead of cast iron ones like they have in the 6.4. I guess what I am saying is that it is a toss up between the ford/dodge due to the fact that the dodge has a better engine, but ford has a stonger frame + better interior and drivetrain. If you are between dodge and chevy just do yourself a favor an get the dodge. Now a days if you go to construction sites you will only see Dodge's or Ford's. I think that the mid 90 chevy's and older are the best out of the 3 trucks, but as of today it is a different story. If you are looking at a chevy with an IFS don't do it because they have by far the weakest IFS out of the 3. I guess where this is going is that there are alot of variables, but I am sure that you will find happiness in your new purchase. Last year I bought an 05 ram 1500 QCSB 4x4 and I have really been happy with it. If you have the money then buy the cummins and upgrade the trans to a fully built suncoast trans and you will be in great shape.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I was filling up my tank the other day when a guy pulled up in a black Ford F450 Harley Davidson. It is a really good looking truck. Later I went to the Ford website to price one, and found they start at $60,000. Holy smoke! I always pay cash for my vehicles, and I tend to not add a lot of options and non-functional stuff. My Ram came to about $36,000, which is a lot of money for me. I can't imagine paying more than $60K for a pickup truck! Also, I don't understand the whole Harley Davidson truck thing. If you want a motorcycle, buy a motorcycle. Harley makes great motorcycles. Is the Ford name so weak that they have to sex it up with the name of a motorcycle?

Quick Reply: dodge vs chevy and ford