Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1995 cummins buying oppinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 PM
modracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 cummins buying oppinion?

hey evryone

a guy i know has a 1995 dodge cummins 12 valve for sale its a reg cab 4x4 and its a old work truck so its beat. id be getting the truck as a fixer up'er and it needs a fair bit of work like the parking pin is broke out of the tranny but i would want to put a 6 speed in anyways and i was looking in it the other day and it has 383,000km on it so my question is how much time is left on that motor befor it blows or stuff starts breaking.

last time i talked to him in the summer he wanted $5000 witch i think is too much and i was talkign to him the other day and he said he would take a bit less so what would you say is a good price to offer

thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 PM
BrokenE

Well, if i calculated right, thats 242K miles? To determine the longevity of an engine with that kind of mileage, you really need to know how it was maintained. If maintained well, then I would say you have at least another 100k miles. You may want to get an oil analysis done before you buy. The analysis will tell you how much metals are in there and they may even be able to tell you it's time to rebuild the engine. The oil will have to have at least 500 miles on it and you want to let engine idle for a few minutes, then within 30 minutes of engine shutoff, collect your sample. Look up Blackstone Lab Oil analysis. They will hook you up. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
modracer

aright thanks...so if evrything is allright motor wise whats a good price to offer?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
racer9
Veteran

From Cummins:

"Cummins data indicates that the life of the B engine in a medium duty truck is slightly over 300,000 miles. Estimated engine life in the pickup is unknown because few engines have failed or worn out, and there are numerous reports of over 800,000 miles."

Generally a valve job is needed around 400k. Like stated earlier, maintainence is a huge issue. IMHO $5k is WAY too much for that truck, there are much better trucks out there for that or just a little more. Maybe $2500 and even at that I'd be leery. Keep looking, you'll find a better one.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
modracer

ya im thinking of jsut saying screw it and get the truck that i actly want lol

thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 1995 cummins buying oppinion?