Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Buying a Diesel....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Bowhunterml
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Diesel....

Hi everyone, first post....im selling my 94 chevy and looking to buy a dodge, with a cummins diesel. i want to get some real opinions on the best year/engine/transmision setup. i have heard so many different opinions, but mostly when i ask people will always yell out there own opinon on how there truck is blah blah blah chevys better blah blah.

any input and info is greatly appreciated.

edit* i also really want to get it in a manual transmission. and eventually put chips and new injectors in it

Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Moved this thread over to the diesel section.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
racer9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK great, welcome to the Cummins side. Lots of info/specs/part numbers here http://www.dodgeram.org/
Basically, you have 4 generations of Cummins powered trucks, divided by body style.

1st gen; '89-'93 Square or box style. 12 valve motor.Rotary VE injection pump. Good reliable motors, although slightly underpowered, the early ones didn't have an intercooler, or O/D trans with lock up converters.

2nd gen; '94-'02 More aerodynamic, first of the "big rig" style hood/fenders. These are broken down into 12 or 24 valve motors. All autos came with O/D and lock-up converter.
Until mid '98 ('98.5) they had the "million mile" P7100 injection pump, and are very desirable.
'98.5 they went to the 24 valve motor with the VP44 IP which hasn't proven to be reliable. If you get one of these motors, get a fuel pressure gauge on it ASAP! Fuel lubes and cools the IP, and low pressure usually caused by a failed lift pump will kill that expensive VP44.

3rd gen; '03-'07 24 valve. They restyled, and switched the motor to the common rail injection system, which is a huge improvement from the VP44. They also improved the auto to a stronger version. Very good truck, but lots of electronics.

4th gen; '07up. The new 6.7 24 valve common rail motor. Heard good things, too much electronics for me.

You can't "chip" a 12 valve motor, but can increase the power with a few free or very inexpensive do it yourself mods. I have over 320hp at the flywheel (stock is 180) on the stock injection system, with just some "adjusting" of the proper things.

The 5 speed manual had a problem with the 5th gear nut backing off, there are updates for it, the 6 speed is relatively trouble free.

It really comes down to what you can afford and like. Very good deals on new right now, might get a new one for about the same payment as a used one.

There are a couple very good Cummins or Cummins Dodge dedicated forums I can send you to if you wish.

Last edited by racer9; 02-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a Diesel....