Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

best programmer without other mods???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM
meatrock1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best programmer without other mods???

Hey guys, I have been looking into some of the programmers out there and am a little weary about which one I want, Of course they all say that they're going to be the best but most advise to do other mods like torque converter and turbo/intercooler upgrades.. I don't have the money or desire to upgrade this thing into a race truck I just want some added power while towing my 27' travel up the mountain passes, Usually I don't do both but I have taken my 9' camper in the bed and the trailer out back, the truck can handle it but I think it would be alot happier with some extra poop.

About the truck: it's a 2005 3500 with the single rear wheels, stock size tires, 2wd stock suspension, stock turbo and intercooler... as a matter of fact the only thing done to this truck is the exhaust, I ditched the CAT and put on an MBRP 20" straight through muffler.

and one more thing... I don't want to spend $800.00 to do it, i'm looking at around half of that.. and , Is the pyrometer really necessary?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

if you are running under 80 hp you can do wwith out a pyrometer. but I ran a 65hp box and saw 1100degrees on my pyro so I would load it too much with out one.

are you looking for A programmer or module? or 1 or the other?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
meatrock1

I'd like to run the programmer simply because I like the ability to diagnose trouble codes.. The other thing i'm looking for is a programmer that can be easily removed wthout leaving evidence that it has been there... restore stock programming, mostly because i still have a warranty on the truck and i don't want to void the warranty. I will probably put a air intake on at the same time so, it will have the programmer exhaust and intake.. i just don't want to destroy my trans, i'm ok with putting a pyrometer in it and a boost guage too, just want to keep cost to a minimum, i've heard alot about edge and bully dog, but there are others for less money, just don't know if they're any good.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
meatrock1

how do you like that aero muffler? I almost got that instead of the MBRP but the cost was alot more, is it worth it?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

If your worried about the warranty you may want to go with an module like the Edge. It intercepts the factory signal and changes it so there is no possible trace on the computer. In my opinion if your not looking to do any other mods I would stay in the 60-65 horse over stock range.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

I had a Bully Dog Triple Dog programmer. I was compelety happy with it. I did go through trans problems but ONLY because I was hard on it. I have since then built my tranny and have had no problems. But that is only because I ran the hell out of it. My bud has one on his and has been problem free since he had it, over a year now. Good programmer for the price. Look around on your local craigslist or other forums and pick up a used one, upgrade it and there ya go. I know God Ram It has one for sale...maybe check with him, he just put it up recently. I recommend it and liked it so much I purchased a Bullydog PMT...which is great. Anyways, hope it helps and happy huntin bud!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Well, if you dont want it to be traceable, the last thing you ant to put on it is BullyDog. They always leave a trace and arent 100% stock. They always change something in the programming and its immediately noticeable with a scantool at the dealer. Plus you run the risk of it wiping out your ECM or the download stops halfway and your in a jamb...(as you may have guessed, Im not a BullyDog fan...)

Smarty Jr. Just under $500 and does the things you want. Turn it up and it is capable of ruining a trans. But keep it on the low setting and itll be fine. 3 levels of power. Untraceable. http://smartypower.com/new/smartyjr.html

Another option would be the TS Performance MP8. Its a pressure box, meaning it raises the rail pressure resulting in better atomization. More power and better econmy in many instances. http://www.tsperformance.com/Power_Play.html

Then theres Edge. Either a Juice with Attitude (more expensive than what your lookin to spend) or the EZ... http://www.edgeproducts.com/categories.php?p_cat=86

Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

the edge ez is pressure only I think and the gains are minimal.
if you want to be 100% untraceable then run a module
an XZT would be plenty and safe without gauges. it will also increase MPG.

I dont care what anyone says. Any programmer is detectable. If you know how computers work then you know that when something gets reprogrammed it leaves a trace. Now it may be undetectable on the dealer level but if the tech is sharp enough then he will get what he needs.

Ive run quite a few setups quad, edge, diablo, bullydog, strikerand 1 or two others. and so far the Bully dog has everything I have ran beat.
and yes I do have one for sale. If you kept it on tow you would be safe.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
meatrock1

Which bully dog are you selling? I was under the impression that they were year specific and only usable on one truck.. I have a buddy at work with a 2004 and he said that his wouldn't be usable on mine.. his is a "power pup". Also, does your bully dog include a monitor or would I have to purchase pyro and boost guages seperately?
and filnally... how much are you asking for it? why aren't you using it anymore?

would the transmission problems that people have had be prevented by installing a suncoast torque converter and valve body?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I am selling a bully dog triple dog. it works o 03-06 dodge rams powerchokes and duracraps.
If I return my truck to stock the programmer can be used on a chevy and then a ford ect.

I ran it for 4 weeks. then decided to go with a bully dog PMT. which has the same tunes but is also a monitor with gauges.
I like the bully dog tuning so much I decided to get the PMT when I saw one for sale cheap.

I am not sure on the power pups but I could flash your truck right now with mine.

I am selling it for $350

I believe the settings are 50hp 90hp and 140hp

Quick Reply: best programmer without other mods???