Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bullydog question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM
jwade2385
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bullydog question

Thinking about ordering the bullydog power pup for my 6.7l cummins. Anyone have or know anyone that has this particular setup? I'm wondering if my truck has a tattle tale and will void my warranty if i happen to bring it in for something. I was also looking at the new E3 by bullydog...it has the dpf burnout mode on it and i was just trying to figure out if this would be a good thing since all of the problems the new emissions BS is causing and i'm not sure if the power pup has this feature??? any help greatly appreciated

Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

They say the programmers dont leave a footprint in the ECU. I am not to sure about the validity of that. I would more worry about sooting up your DPF than anything. I think the power pup might be a decent addition, but I am completely unsure. I have a 5.9 w/ a BDTD and I love it. But then again, it's a 5.9. Best of luck to you, I know this reply probably doesn't help your hunt for information, but here ya go anyways.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

Everything Ive heard of BullyDogs stuff for the 6.7 has been bad. Of course Ive heard plenty bad about their 5.9 stuff, enough that Ill never run BullyDog on anything I own, nor will I buy a truck thats had it on. Just askin for trouble with BullyDog in my opinion...

Theres numerous guys with 6.7s that arent happy with BullyDogs tunes.

And I guarantee a dealer can tell if its been programmed if BullyDog is put on. It never returns the ECM 100% back to stock. Always chanes little things in the programming that are a red flag.

Ive never seen a Smarty owner say its been detectable. Things like Edge Juice dont leave a trace, necessarily, but theres little things a dealer can physically look for to tell them its been on

Last edited by scatpack_69; 03-05-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
bekim
Professional

Stay stock until your warranty is done, then do the mods if you even have this concern.
I've been running the Bullydog Power Pup for 90,000 miles with no problems. Have made several trips to the dealer for service with the Outlook monitor still mounted in the cab and programmed to stock without problems. Yes they claim to be undetectable, but these motors are just too expensive to take chances IMHO.
Cheers
Mike
###

Originally Posted by jwade2385
Thinking about ordering the bullydog power pup for my 6.7l cummins. Anyone have or know anyone that has this particular setup? I'm wondering if my truck has a tattle tale and will void my warranty if i happen to bring it in for something. I was also looking at the new E3 by bullydog...it has the dpf burnout mode on it and i was just trying to figure out if this would be a good thing since all of the problems the new emissions BS is causing and i'm not sure if the power pup has this feature??? any help greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Everything Ive heard of BullyDogs stuff for the 6.7 has been bad. Of course Ive heard plenty bad about their 5.9 stuff, enough that Ill never run BullyDog on anything I own, nor will I buy a truck thats had it on. Just askin for trouble with BullyDog in my opinion...

Theres numerous guys with 6.7s that arent happy with BullyDogs tunes.

And I guarantee a dealer can tell if its been programmed if BullyDog is put on. It never returns the ECM 100% back to stock. Always chanes little things in the programming that are a red flag.

Ive never seen a Smarty owner say its been detectable. Things like Edge Juice dont leave a trace, necessarily, but theres little things a dealer can physically look for to tell them its been on
At the dealer level very few people know where to look to catch smarty but it can be caught.
Bully dog is a very good programmer and used by more people than most any other programmer.
I see more people with problems with diablo and superchips than any other programmer out there.
and an edge is a module which goes in line with certain sensors which fools the computer, it doesnt reprogram the computer so it isnt traceable (not at the dealer level)

Old 03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tech is smart enough there is no programmer that is undetectable. Even though the edge does not reprogram anything, it is still traceable.. duty cycles, overboosting, and fuel management are give aways.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
Trust me, both of those are detectable.

Even the stand alond boxes are detectable in most cases, IF the guy knows what to look for.

Miles driven since codes cleared.
Time since codes cleared.
Date of last update.
Load percentages.
Invalid SKM key.
Duty cycles.
Max speed.
Boost numbers over the OEM limit.
Rail pressure numbers.

Smarty, contrary to the advertising hype IS dectable. Updates, codes cleared, max speed, and duty cycles are the give aways with Smarty.

Edge, even though it's a stand alone box, is detectable. The biggest give away with the Edge is the Engine Load %, invalid SKM key and code clearing.

Any body that believes that you can make changes to computer and it not be found doesn't understand how the systems work.

Last edited by Coal Train; 03-08-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Bullydog question